Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Overfertilized pole beans

Posted by ferannia (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 15, 09 at 17:04

I am a total beginer. In a compost soil of a community garden, raised bed plot, applied a wrong (fish) fertilizer 5-1-1 imidiatelly after planting seeds, and once again about two weeks later.
I did it on advice of a garden manager who supplied the fertilizer telling us it is good for everything we want to grow.
Later, by experienced gardeners I learned that's not a good fertilization for beans (more precisely Italian pole beans Goldmarie, Phaseolus vulgaris L. var. vulgaris).

Now leaves are big and plentiful, but I am afraid there will be no beans.

Would a balancing with a fertilizer 0-12-0 (half strength) do any good and help produce some fruit ? I am afraid I will do only worse applying more chemicals.

Gardeners from neighbouring plots suggested I get rid of my plants, plant zuccini and some squash while I still have time, in order to clean up soil of excess nitrogen, and the soil will be good for beans for next yers sowing.

I actually hope all that nitrogen might be depleted by now, maybe there is still some hope for the plants ?

Is there anything I can do to repair the damage and have some beans this year ?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Overfertilized pole beans

Why do you think there will be no beans? I don't see why some fish fertilizer would be a show-stopper. Are your plants old enough and tall enough to be showing flower buds? If they're 6 feet or taller, check the leaf axils for young flower bud clusters. If they develop flowers, I would think they'll set bean pods. If the flower clusters are too immature, you may not be able to distinguish them from new vines, which also sprout from the leaf axils.
If it were me and those bean plants looked healthy, I'd lay off the fertilizer and let them grow.

o
RE: Overfertilized pole beans

I would take my chances at this point. Maybe ther is enough P in the soil to support blooming and bean production. Nitrogen will give you lots of vine, but if P and K are available especially P which is essential to fruiting plants you may still get a bumper crop. At this stage I would only consider adding P ( phosphate) as a foliar feed, But I would probably just takes my chances. I am not one to make many mid stream corrections.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here