Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sugar Snap Peas Problem

Posted by beauseau z5 OHIO (My Page) on
Sun, Jun 14, 09 at 17:57

I planted sugar snap peas and about half the plants grow pods that look like they are shrink wrapped over the peas. They taste fine but texturally are different than the normal pods. They are in a double row growing up wire strung between two six foot posts. They are six foot tall and very healthy vines. The vines are producing very well. The pods are thinner than they should be but the peas are proper size. They remind you of a rib cage on a too skinny dog. I have gardened for years but my first run at sugar snap peas. I don't believe it could be a water problem as the plants that do this are interspersed with the plants producing normal pods. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sugar Snap Peas Problem

• Posted by cedgo zone6IL (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 15, 09 at 10:30

Interesting, mine are doing the same thing.

o

Interesting....it almost sounds like a description of snow peas.

o

Yes, it does resemble a now pea. But the snap pea should be round, especially if the peas have swollen at all. Some of mine do this as well. I haven't noticed any problem with them, the taste and texture are just fine.

o

Mine did that this year too. (my 1st time growing them also) About 3 out of 15 plants produced pods just like you describe, while the others were normal looking. I don't know why either.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here