Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lolear

impatient with gardensoy

lolear
13 years ago

My first year trying to grow soy. I got the giant pack of gardensoy varieties from U of Illinois and planted in the spring. After planting too early, then planting again and having the seeds munched by slugs during germination (!) finally some growth started. They got to about 3-4" tall and not much seems to be happening. Are these slow growers? Any special conditions that they need? I can always use the space for something else and call it a failed experiment...

Comments (7)

• jimster
    13 years ago

I grew two varieties successfully, one early, one late. I don't recall which ones right now. The only trouble I had was that voles ate all of the early crop, neatly chewing a hole through the pod at each seed.

Jim

• lolear
    Original Author
    13 years ago

What kind of conditions do they require for success? Any fert? I thought legumes provided their own N? We've had tons of rain, maybe that's the problem?

• Belgianpup
    13 years ago

Did you use an inoculant for soybeans?

See link below.

Sue

Here is a link that might be useful: Soybean Soil Fertility

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    13 years ago

You are not too far from me, Lolear, so we are in the same boat. Our conditions this June have been far from ideal for soybeans. Too much rain, and more importantly, too little sunlight. I grow a lot of soybeans (about 20 varieties each year) and most of mine are languishing also.

But even in the best of years, soybeans start slowly. They should really take off in the drier, hotter days of July. If this gives you any hope, I just noticed one of my earliest varieties beginning to bloom... and I can't remember ever getting flowers in June. All the cloudy days might have triggered a short-day response. That one is a very early field soybean, edamame generally bloom considerably later, in late July or early August.

I tried two of the Gardensoy varieties, #12 & #24. #24 was by far my favorite of the two, very large seeds on sturdy, self-righting plants. Only Gardensoy #41 is larger, and it is 3 weeks later... too late for me to save seed reliably.

• lolear
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have not used an inocculant. Perhaps I should look in to that...

Zeedman - Well, that's reassuring. I guess I will just have to wait and be patient. It also explains a lot. I think I used the #41... So with any luck I will see some soy in late August.
    Thanks,
    Laura

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    13 years ago

Having given you reassurance, Laura, I feel bad saying this... but the listed maturity date for Gardensoy #41 in Urbana is September 29th. It is one of their latest varieties. You might be able to pick some just before frost, depending upon the weather. #24 is earlier, with a listed maturity date of September 11th.

It occurs to me that I missed something earlier. Chicago... Lake Michigan... wind... I hope you are far enough inland to escape the cool breezes. If not, you might want to use a windbreak of some kind, to warm the air around the soybeans. They will need heat to mature.

• lolear
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Zeedman - I am inland from the lake by about a mile, not as cool as lakeshore weather but not as hot as the western burbs at all.
    Now I'm wondering if I should cut my losses and plant something else... I'm planning fall crops of different varieties of veggies and I could use the space if these (it's only about an 8' row) are just going to plunk along. Also, they don't look that great since they have gotten a little munched by something. What kind of yield per plant do you typically get from soy? I know it must depend on the variety a lot.
    If I could do this right next year do you have any advice about growing conditions? When should they be planted? Anything specific to do with the soil? Do you use an inocculant? I still have the gardensoy variety pack so I can always try again :-)
    Thanks,
    Laura