Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Will beans climb incline instead of straight up?

Posted by emcd124 5 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 3, 13 at 18:51

I'm working on my son's preschool garden. The idea we're working on is a 'harvest walkway' where we grow indet tomatoes and pole beans up an arched support so that the fruits hang down within reach and the kids can walk under the walkway and pick the fruits.

However this means that the beans would be climbing up a trellis support that wouldnt be perfectly vertical, it would be more like 20 degrees off vertical. Will that pose any problems? I dont have a lot of experience growing pole beans and I've only ever grown them up a vertical pole or string.

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Will beans climb incline instead of straight up?

I'm sure they will climb an incline.

Jim

o

It will be fun to show the kids how the bean vines only wind around the support one way...counter-clock wise.

o

There was an interesting thread on this topic, linked below.

Jim

Here is a link that might be useful: How Do Pole Beans Climb?

o

Well runner beans certainly do. I have done a bean tunnel in the past and growing them on wigwams of poles is common. Both on an incline.

BTW I just looked back at that thread , Jim, and it occurred to me that because galina was in the UK s/he was probably talking about P coccineus, not P vulgaris, hence the difference in rotation. Runner beans climb clockwise unlike other beans.

o

I checked my scarlet runner beans the other they.
They spiral, what is called RIGHTHANDED. which is like thread on the right handed screw. I also read the old discussion on the spiraling issue. It han nothing to do with, sun, rotation of earth, gravitational force, hemisphere. It happen as part of genetics of plants. Even trees exhibit this in the formation of their grain fiber.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here