Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to pick shelling peas...

Posted by heirloomjunkie 5a (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 17, 10 at 18:58

I have some Burpee shelling peas that are popping out everywhere (late, I know). They seem to be doing quite well, but I'm not sure when they are ripe to pick, and don't know how to cook/prepare/preserve them. Guess I should have thought about that before now... :)

Any suggestions?

Kim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to pick shelling peas...

do what I do. eat them.

:D

When they are mature, pick them, shell them, steam them for about 3 minutes, and eat them.

DarJones

o

• Posted by anney Georgia 8 (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 18, 10 at 3:13

If you hold the pods up to the light, you'll be able to see how large the peas are. What variety of shelling peas are you growing? There should be information online about how large the peas will be for optimal eating if you can't tell yourself.

o

When the pods have filled out. If you let them go too long they will get starchy. You can pick the as soon as they shell easily. Lots of ways to eat English peas. Lightly boiled with butter is my favorite.
willet wonder Early Alaska 2

o

Thanks, guys!

Another thing, any idea why my peas are getting yellow/ dried leaves at the bottom? The middle and tops seem to be doing just fine, but the bottoms are looking kind of sickly. I did plant them a little late this year.

Kim

o

Mine always get yellow leaves at the bottom, I think it is normal. The plants look healthy otherwise, so I don't worry about it. Pick you peas when they are completely filled out but before the husks get leathery or rough and discolor. They should still be bright green and fat, with a smooth texture. The peas get all crowded inside. Looking at them with a strong light is a good suggestion.

The ones that you missed and that get browner and with rough husks you can use for seed next year!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here