Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chinamigarden

Sugar snap peas, how many?

chinamigarden
13 years ago

I planted SSP this spring and had fairly poor germination. Right now the vines are starting to flower. I have about 8-10 plants that are 2+ feet tall. Will I get enough peas from this many plants to serve a family of 4? Will these produce for a while?

Of course it will depend on many factors, but typically?

Comments (3)

• linda_schreiber
    13 years ago

It has been a weird spring.... I got mine in very late, and very sloppily, thrown into something noone would call a 'garden bed". I thought for a long time that there was going to be nothing happening. But a while back they started growing, and started flowering a couple of weeks ago. They have been producing pretty well, and we have gotten about six servings over the last three days. They are still going strong and stronger. Many small pods I am letting grow, and still flowering and producing more pods.

In normal years, I would expect the peas to start going by soon... Doesn't seem to be happening. They are thriving and flowering and keep setting lovely pods.

If you have more seed, plant it now. The weather is strange, but it seems to be cooperating with snap peas for now....

• Belgianpup
    13 years ago

The pole-type vines (grow to 6 feet or so) will keep producing usually until the weather gets too hot for them, as long as you keep picking them.

The bush-types produce mostly all at the same time and then the harvest is over.

More and more, I am starting to pre-sprout them for more uniform results. I soak the seeds overnight, then put them into a container (like a coffee mug) and rinse/drain them at least three times a day, and keep a damp twice-folded paper towel over the cup so they don't dry out. I plant them as soon as their little 'tails' are obvious. Before I started doing this, I was getting fairly spotty germination.

And I agree, it's been a strange spring, even here in WA.

Sue

• catherine_nm
    13 years ago

I also prefer the pole varieties, and double-node varieties at that. That is, you get two flowers, and therefore two pods at every flowering node.

But most catalogs don't mention single or double node, just whether they are dwarf or vining, so it was just luck that the Super Sugar Snaps that I tried this year happen to be doubles.

As for how many, I have about 60 feet of mixed sugar snaps and snow peas, and 3 in my family. The golden sweet snows started about 2 weeks ago, then some of the green snows, and finally the sugar snaps this week. Between all of them we have been eating about half a serving each as crudets at lunches every day for two weeks, and now that the sugar snaps are coming in we have enough for more than a serving each every day at lunch and a couple of dinners a week, too.

An old gardening book of mine says 50 feet per person for English peas. Maybe for sugar snaps that would be 25 feet of row for each person (if you are like us and can eat peas every day until they finish up).

Check out Peace Seeds, they have sugar snaps with green, yellow, and purple pods!

Catherine

Here is a link that might be useful: Peace Seeds

Sponsored