Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantslayer

Growing snow peas for the tender shoots (not the peas)

plantslayer
13 years ago

Hello,

This year my wife and I planted snow peas. Before the plants even more than a few actual peas, we decided to snip off some of the tender shoots in order to eat them in a stir fry. We did this a couple of times, but once the vines started setting peas in earnest it seems like they became too tough to eat like this. As you might know already, or have figured out by this point in the post, tender snow pea vine shoots are edible and make a tasty dish. They taste like... snow peas. The part we eat are the new growing tips on the main stem and side-branches that come off the main stem.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone who understands bean grown habits can tell me how I might maximize a my crop in the future assuming I primarily want to harvest shoots rather than peas from the vines. I saw that Evergreen seeds even sells a snow pea cultivar specifically bred for making shoots. Does anyone know if this or another cultivar is best for my purposes? What parts of the plant should I snip, and which parts should I let grow in order to get the most out of the plant? Is there a fertilizer component I can dose them with to make more shoots?

Thanks for your help!

Comments (7)

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH