Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
pole beans

Posted by dawei39 7 - wisconsin (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 21, 07 at 19:54

I am looking for info on a bean that was sent to me from NYC by a friend who is from Puerto Rico - I am told this is a "pole bean" - The pod, which I have see when dried - was at least 1 foot long and about 3/4 of an inch wide - the individual beans are at least an inch in length and are brick red in color -
I planted the three that I was given and they have begun to grow. Now someone else from Puerto Rico tells me they cannot be eaten - if I get a ton of these giant beans, I would like to know if they are edible or not because otherwise what would I do with them?
I know they are climbing beans because I planted one in the winter inside and it ran all the way to the top of the kitchen window before it finally died from a lack of good light. These are outside and I want to know if they are more than just a conversation piece

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: pole beans

Did someone by the name of Jack give them to you?

o

Odds are, it is not a pole bean. (P. vulgaris) At least I don't know of one that matches that description. Possibilities include runner beans (P. cocineus) which are edible tho mostly used as ornamentals. Hyacinth bean (Dolichos lablab). Jack Bean (Canavalia ensiformis). Sword bean (Canavalia gladiata)

Here is a link that might be useful: hyacinth bean

o

I remember a similar question coming up somewhere on GW last year, but haven't been able to find it.

Farmerdilla is on the right track. What you most likely have is the Sword Bean, which is red seeded. The seeds are considered to be poisonous, although there are reports of them being eaten immature.

Personally, I wouldn't grow them, except as a curiousity. They require a long, warm growing season (and are most likely daylength-sensitive, in which case they would not bloom until September). There are so many wonderful limas that would thrive under those conditions!

o

• Posted by lelia Northern Cal (My Page) on
    Mon, Jun 25, 07 at 18:48

HERE is another thread about this.... maybe the one zeedman is referring to?

o

Probably not a Hyacinth Bean, they are black and white in color. When they bloom it's a beautiful purple flower, beautiful to look at but not to eat. Oddly enough the old-timers call the Hyacinth the Jack in the Bean Stock Plant.

Mary Ann

o

From the discussions in above postings I beleive it is Cavalia gladiata (sword bean) which I have seen growing on the fences in the wild in India. Tender leaves and pods were used as fodder for the animals.There is a picture of the pod on
www.davesgarden.com/pf/showimage/131910/.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here