Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scubieman

Need help green bean issues

scubieman
13 years ago

My green beans look like their dieing. This is my first garden and first year.

two possible issues but looking for more possible issues.

one : watering during high sun and plants got baked.

two : insect issues.

I think combination of both.

[IMG]http://i49.tinypic.com/2mhhpjk.jpg[/IMG]

http://i49.tinypic.com/2mhhpjk.jpg

Comments (6)

• anney
    13 years ago

Whoo, boy!

{{gwi:1027545}}

Here's your picture that I uploaded to Photobucket.

If you did water them in the heat of the sun, you could have ended up with scalded and burned leaves. That will make them attractive to pests because they're injured.

If this is on every plant, I'd be really tempted to pull them up and replant them. There's still time for most beans. Then water them only at ground level.

• scubieman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

my dad thought it was blight? Could it be

IF you think it's cause of sun issue : when and how long till they heal?

thanks for response

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    13 years ago

The damage appears to be sunscald. I've had the same thing happen at that stage some years, although never to that degree. Usually only the first two leaves are affected, and subsequent leaves develop normally. My guess is that the early root system is too weak to sufficiently hydrate the first leaves, especially on hot days.

Judging by the healthy appearance of the stems & emerging leaves, there is a good chance the plants will recover quickly. I'd recommend letting them grow. A mulch around the plants might be helpful, since it would not only conserve moisture & lessen mid-day wilt, but prevent mud splash on the leaves.

• scubieman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I think part of the issue was the green beans were 1 inch apart. I reread directions and found their suppose to be 6 inches apart. Could this be part of the issue?

possbily with healing?

• fusion_power
    13 years ago

Not just sunscald. That is a classic example of nutrient imbalance. Can't tell for sure, but looks like magnesium. A soil test would be indicated. Meantime, I suggest you get some epsom salts and apply at a rate of 1 tablespoon per 10 feet of row. This may still be a problem since your soil is probably heavily alkaline. You might also consider adding a very very tiny amount of boron. 1 tablespoon of borax per 100 feet of row is just about right. Last but not least, there are several micronutrient cocktails available in stores. It might be a good idea to just buy one of the pre-mixes and use according to directions.

DarJones

• scubieman
    Original Author
    13 years ago

well the confusion is everything else is growing amazing besides my green beans. This is my first year and everything takin from city compost pile.

Thanks for replies

Sponsored
Capital City Construction & Remodeling
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars6 Reviews
Franklin County's Custom Kitchen & Bath Designs for Everyday Living