Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
downeastwaves

Royal Burgundy

downeastwaves
17 years ago

Anyone planted these?

I have a few coming up, can't wait to try them!

Leasa

Comments (14)

• fliptx
    17 years ago

Yes, I planted them this spring and they make lovely plants with fuchsia flowers. Unfortunately I planted mine a bit late and in the heat, they were overrun with aphids, dropped a lot of blossoms, and grew misshapen beans. However, the few good beans I did manage to get impressed me enough that I'll plant again for a fall crop.

• fliptx
    17 years ago

I meant to say spider mites above, not aphids. I have aphids on the brain (eww) because they're infesting my melon patch at the moment.

• tuppermom
    17 years ago

We have planted them for a few years now. I love them but DH prefers the regular old green variety. Here in southern Ontario my plants are up about a foot but no blossoms yet. We planted early but then had a 2 weeks of cool weather. The plants had come up but then stopped growing. DH planted some in pots in the greenhouse and has now transplanted them into the rows. Next year he is going to start all of them in the greenhouse.

Love this forum for Bean Lovers!

Mary

• ksflowergirl
    17 years ago

I love this variety. Mine are blooming and setting beans right now. They do well in my zone. I love the color; after they are cooked, they turn a very bright shade of green.

• booberry85
    17 years ago

I'm growing them for the first time this year too! Eagerly awaiting!

• downeastwaves
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Mine grew nicely today, it was sunny for the firwst time in days!

• forest_girl
    17 years ago

If I could choose only one variety of green bean, this would be it. I always grow them. Very productive, disease resistant plants. Beans taste great. I love to give them away---most people (who don't garden) have never heard to a purple green bean, and they are always amazed at the magical way it turns green when cooked.

• Macmex
    17 years ago

Very fine variety. Haven't grown them for a while, but they were great beans and the wife fondly remembers them.

• vera_eastern_wa
    17 years ago

I'm growing them for the first time here too! I planted them around May 28th and they are just getting ready to bloom July 5th. Just seen them in a rack at the local grocery store and thought I'd give it a try. After reading these posts I'm very glad I did! Sounds wonderful :D

Vera

• downeastwaves
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Yeah! Mine are blooming and I have tiny beans!!!! Cant' wait!!!!

Leasa

• granite
    17 years ago

They are good producers and easy to pick as the bean color does stand out. One year I grew a variety that helpfully produced all the beans on the TOP of the plant...I've never found that variety since. It was a purple pod green bean, but I don't remember exactly the name and I've never had the same plant shape. Anyway, that one was packaged as "seeds for kids" and called "magic beans". My son loved growing them. I've grown Royal Burgandy and Purple Princess since then, all with good results. I don't have them this year...that's just because I was focused on planting out my saved seeds and I had plenty of bean seeds without buying new. Next time I buy bean seeds it will be for purple beans, as well as a flat italian pole bean. (my favorites)

• cecilia_md7a
    17 years ago

I grow them every year and haven't been disappointed. The color change when cooking is an easy way to gauge when they're done!

• downeastwaves
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, we've had several servings and I've shared some with friends!

They really are good and FUN!!!!

So glad I planted them, I'm letting some of the beans grow to get the seeds. Anything special I should know?

Leasa

• farmerdilla
    13 years ago

Royal Burgundy (1976) is an improved version of Royalty (1957). Both are good snap beans, Royal Burgundy has a larger bush, longer pods and better resistance to virus. I have grown both starting in the early sixties. I like Purple Queen a bit better as it is more productive under adverse conditions.