Vax 4 (tepary cross)

Vax 3 (tepary cross)

Vax 1 (tepary cross)

Xan159 (tepary cross)

Purple Emerite - a bee made cross of Emerite x a Purple Pole bean

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bean pics, tepary cross lines from ars-grin

those are names I have never heard of. are they edible?

o

Yes, they are all edible. These are all in the Phaseolus genus and specifically are in the group of common beans that we grow to eat.

o

fusion_power,

I would love to see a photo of the Purple Emerite after it makes pods. Please.

o

What kind of soil is that?

o

Dar,

There seems to be something interesting going on here but I am not knowledgable enough about tepary beans to know the significance of these crosses. Can you give us a little background info?

Jim

o

Jim, they have high levels of disease tolerance to common bean blight. They also carry a few other traits I am interested in evaluating.

Shuf, I will try to remember to post further pics of the purple emerite. It should be an interesting line to pursue.

DarJones

o

Because I garden in sandy, droughty soil, tepary beans caught my eye. It seems to be adapted to dryness, so I obtained some seed. I haven't grown it yet. Would you expect tepary beans to have an advantage in this soil?

Jim

o

Jimster, yes, some advantage, but if you read the literature, tepary beans have an advantage only in extreme drought. They are not IMO useful as a pure species. This is why I am growing some of the advanced generation selections.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here