Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Going to try growing edamame for first time

Posted by iamzvonko 5 (My Page) on
Wed, Jun 20, 12 at 22:07

Hello,

I'm pretty new to gardening. Started last year and it went so well, I doubled the size of my garden this year.

Went a little overboard with the green beans and my wife said "hey, we like eating edamame. Can't you grow those?" So I thought I'd try it.

Is it too late to plant them? I'm in northern Ohio (zone 5). Any tips/tricks I should be aware of as I try this?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Going to try growing edamame for first time

It's not too late for edamame, but you would get the best results with an early variety, such as "Agate" or "Envy". With a little luck, you might even get some dry seed from them. Later varieties might still give you edamame too, but it would be close to the end of the season... so you would be hoping for a warm Fall.

o

Well, I went ahead and bought some seeds from the local nursery. I planted about 10 "spots" and put 3 seeds in each spot.

Three weeks later I'm only seeing a sprout from ONE of the spots. I went back to the nursery and asked them about it and the lady tells me that I wasn't watering them enough. I'm fairly new to this so I can't say for sure, but her explanation seemed kind of bogus.

The one sprout that has come up looks great. It has 3 really nice looking leaves and keeps growing.

Her explanation was that I wasn't watering enough so the roots were coming too close to the top because that's where the moisture is and then they dried out. I watered the whole area the same so I can't understand why one of them would grow so well and the others not.

Thinking about this made me remember reading something in a book or on web about how you're supposed to do something to the seeds before planting them. Of course, I can't remember the details.

It's probably too late to do another planting but I'd like to know for next year. I still have about half the bag of seeds left.

Thanks for any info.

o

If you have been as warm as it is here, soybeans should have very high germination. They love heat. One good soaking after planting, then enough water to prevent the soil from drying out until germination, should be adequate.

If you water with a hand-held sprinkler, and only watered once over the area, you probably didn't soak the soil deeply enough. It would take several passes.

It's also possible that the seed was planted too deep, or too shallow. In particular, seed planted too shallow would swell after the initial watering, but then die when it dries out. I get my best results covering with 1" of soil.

There is a fairly good chance that the seed was old or was damaged by heat. If the seed was exposed to direct sunlight, or if the package was kept in a hot enclosed location for awhile, it may have damaged much of the seed.

And lastly, it's possible that the seed did germinate, but birds or bunnies ate the seedlings.

Don't know if any of these was the problem, just throwing some ideas out there in case one of them rings a bell.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here