Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Lots of off types in my peas this year

Posted by naturegirl_2007 5B SW Michigan (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 22:41

I planted short rows of 6 varieties of snap, snow, and shelling peas this year. Three of the 6 are producing some pods that are not true to type. That seems excessive. The varieties are from various vendors. A snow pea with long pods has some filling out like shelling peas and those pods are tough and fibrous. A snap pea has some pods that look more like overgrown snow peas and they are sweet and tender much like the "normal" snap pods. Another snap pea has some pods that are fibrous and when bent show the membrane that shelling peas contain. Yet all the pods of this variety look very much alike.

It is not that I have mixed various types in a row by mistake because the oddities are not like another variety. Plus I don't see how I would mess up that bad. I figure peas are unlikely to cross pollinate and even if they did it wouldn't show up until saved seed was grown out.

Any ideas why this year is giving me so many off types. I'm considering ordering from Johnnys next year since I have seen info about them working hard to remove off types from their breeding stock. I'm sick of biting into what I expect to be a tender pea and ending up with a mouthful of tough pod fibers.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Lots of off types in my peas this year

I have the same thing this year, and most ARE from Johnny's, altho I love their seeds. After a while you can tell the difference between the pods. I also have 6 different kinds, like you. I highly recommend Penelope shell pea from Johnny's...so prolific and sweet!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here