Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Two questions about peas

Posted by keith100 5 Upstate N. Y Sarat (My Page) on
Thu, Jun 26, 14 at 23:01

Hello everyone.
I have 3 forty five foot rows of Wando peas that will be picked this week end. Firstly , how long will they keep ,and is the fridge the best place to store them till shelled? Secondly is there a tool to shell them with? I'm afraid I will have let them go too long, but Saturday is the first chance I'l'l have to pick them Thanks in advance, Keith

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Two questions about peas

Secondly is there a tool to shell them with.
Ha, that is my problem too. I love growing them but not shelling. Anybody have any suggestions.

o

In the days of wringer washers, they were run through the ringers which popped the peas out nicely. Today ther are dozens of pea shellers on the market ranging from el cheapos to commercial shellers costing over a thousand bucks.

Here is a link that might be useful: pea shellers

o

Had crank pea sheller - $50 including shipping

Electric but cheap pea sheller $200

Electirc Taylor sheller $500

Beyond these, you get into heavy duty commercial pea shellers.

You can purchase most any of the above on Ebay, sometimes at a good discount. I paid $275 for a used Taylor off Craigslist.

o

• Posted by keith100 5 Upstate N.Y. Sarat (My Page) on
    Fri, Jun 27, 14 at 22:06

Fusion power, does it work? I'm talking nice soft garden peas. Not ripe or hard . Thanks again

o

keith100 - on the plant is the best place to keep them until shelled.That's why for fresh consumption it's best to grow them in succession so as not to have a whole lot ready to pick at once. Failing that the keep them in the fridge. Peas start to deteriorate in flavour as soon as they're picked because the sugars start to convert to starch immediately.

I always shell by hand so I can't help you with that part of the question. Do you intend to freeze them since you have so many?

o

• Posted by keith100 5 Upstate N.Y. Sarat (My Page) on
    Sun, Jun 29, 14 at 19:03

Floral,
yes freezing is the ticket. Yesterday I picked 2 rows , had a nice batch for lunch and blanched and froze 8 pints. Today I picked the third row, 5 more pints on there way to the freezer now. I 'm afraid the first two rows are going to be in need of picking before I can do it , witch will be Thursday. I have a neighbor that may be able to pick on Tuesday. I hope he can , because I can just about see the pods filling. Seems there is always some snag , lol . Sort of like fishing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here