Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When do I pick my soybeans and what do I do with them?

Posted by bomber991 (My Page) on
Mon, Jun 15, 09 at 23:07

So I was messing around with sprouting soybeans a few months ago, and I decided to put some of them in dirt and try growing some plants.

Well, now I've got about 5 little soybean plants growing in one pot, and they're making bean pods now. My question is when do I pick the pods off? Some of the pods have turned black, but most of them are still green and fattening up. So should I wait till they turn black to pick them? Or just pick them when they're fat enough?

Now my second question is, what do I do with them after they're off the plant? I need to de-pod them, but how do I go about doing that? Do I need to boil them first and then de-pod them or what?

Sorry if these questions seem dumb, they probably are, but I've never grown anything before. I've tried searching for the answers to these questions and I keep coming up with Edamama info. Those sound like they're supposed to be large pod soy beans, these I'm growing are just regular ones.

Anyways, any help would be appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When do I pick my soybeans and what do I do with them?

If you are growing regular soybeans, they are not very good as an edible. Edamame are the edible ones. If you are into soybean sprouts from regular soybeans, just let the pods dry on the vine, shell them out, and then use them for sprouts.

o
RE: When do I pick my soybeans and what do I do with them?

Well I went out and pulled off the dark brown/black ones that have dried out. Cracking open the shell was a lot like cracking open some peanuts. Anyways, the beans that came out were perfect. I still have the original batch of soybeans from the asian market. My grown ones look almost exactly the same. The only difference is that mine are just not quite as fat.

Also I'm growing some mung beans. Same deal there, I pulled off a dry pod and cracked it open. The beans look the same as the bag of mung beans I grew them from.

I'm still amazed I got any beans at all from these plants. I mean I truly treated them like crap. They were not at the edge of my balcony but close to my door. So they only got direct sunlight for about 5 hours a day. The stuff at the edge get 8 or 9 hours. I grew them in crappy $4 for 40 pound "organic" potting soil. No fertilizers added or anything. I really haven't been very diligent with watering them either. These bean plants never had any good looking leaves. They've all been full of brown spots and frayed edges.

I've built one of those earthbox type self watering containers and have a tomato plant and basil plant in it. They've grown so quick and look so healthy. I'm going to build some more and I want to try a soybean plant in there to see how it does when it's treated nice.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here