Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vecchio_gw

bean germination problem

vecchio
14 years ago

I have planted beans seeds twice this season. the first time nothing surfaced, checked for seeds found nothing. The second time (3rd week of june but cool (60s) and wet all week) the seeds germinated but the cotyledons seemed to have a rust color appearance and the leaves were either nonexistent or very small. is this a fungus or bacteria that is attacking the seed caused by the unusually cool, wet weather we are experiencing?

Comments (4)

• Macmex
    14 years ago

How does the seed appear before you plant it? Is it kind of "scrawny looking," or is it plump and full like normal? I've had something similar crop up when my seed wasn't well filled out. Conditions could have something to do with it. Wish I could help more!

George
    in Tahlequah, OK (wishing we could swap a little of your climate for a little of ours!)

• vecchio
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks George, I wish we could moderate the weather a bit in both locations, and since I posted this the weather has continued to remain cool and wet, every day but two in June and so far the same in July, there is a warning issued that all of the northeast is dealing with late blight attacking tomatoes and potatoes big time.

the bean seeds were new and appeared to be fine, there is something call seed rot that I am going to find out more about. sometime seeds are treated to prevent rotting in the soil when conditions are like we are having now. I am also going to see if I can treat the seeds myself before planting though another approach is to plant the seeds in a row that has been lined with sterile soil such as used for seed starting or treating the soil in the row with something before depositing the seeds.

I am learning that this is what gardening is all about. solving one problem after another while at the same time not causing another. sounds like prescription drugs to me.

• tormato
    14 years ago

vecchio,

Your first planting, when you "checked for seeds found nothing", sounds like birds might have got them. If the seeds were still there and they rotted, you would find small pieces of white mush.

Here in Massachusetts, I start some of my beans indoors and transplant them out later. This eliminates the bird and weather problems. I also start harvesting much earlier. I picked my first bush beans on the last day of May. My pole beans vines are at 9' and climbing.

One option may be to cover the seeds with something, like plastic. This will keep the birds away, warm the soil, and if layed down right it can keep excess rain away.

Gary

• P POD
    14 years ago

I picked my first bush beans on the last day of May.

Tormato, I'd love to learn how you grow beans! Would you mind describing your methods?

What do you use as seed-starting medium? the size of indoor containers? how many seeds/container? transplant size? how you transplant without the beans croaking from the shock, or dislike, of being transplanted. Plus all the other tricks you have up your sleeves!

Thanks so very much for spilling the beans on this subject.....

Sponsored