Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rodgerwinn

Update on Beans

rodger
12 years ago

I have uploaded photos of the beans I have growing this year. I found it is easier to up load to my website rather than also trying to upload here. So I have attached a link. The garden looks good this year. But like last year we have been in the 90/s since Late April even a few days at 90 in Late March with less than an inch of rain a week and when we did get rain the wind has been very destructive. So even with the heat I am thankful I am able to water with my drip system and most varieties are doing well. We canned 11qts of the Zelma Zesta bean last night and have had several meals since early june on others. Still need to can another 50-60 qts to last till next year. I also started picking sweet corn should have around 400 ears when done. Last of the cabbage will be cut up tomorrow for Kraut. The only thing that is doing poorly are the tomatoes. The storms have ravaged the plants and the heat has even further reduced the yield.

I wish I had more time to participate in the forums. There is a great bunch of bean fanatics here . I can feel for you Zeedman 2 years ago I had very little for a garden and what little there was needed more attention. Hopefully I will see you this Oct in Berea Ky.Rodger

Here is a link that might be useful: Rodger's Heirlooms

Comments (8)

• happyday
    12 years ago

Some beautiful beans, Rodger. Hope you have a good year despite the weather.

• zeedman Zone 5 Wisconsin
    12 years ago

Nice photos, Rodger. You "garden" on the scale that I hope to when I retire.

Reading the comments you posted with some varieties, I was struck by the remark that the pole wax "Zlatac" was commercially available. Is there currently a source in the U.S.?

• rodger
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I made the assumption that it was a commercial bean. I also recieved this one from you I believe. If you could give me some information on this bean. Rodger

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    12 years ago

Roger, just looked at your website, very impressive. I grew Zelma Zesta last year and it's a keeper, Not knowing if they would grow here I only planted 5 Woods Mountain Crazy Beans in a tub, they're just starting to form beans now but look like they're another bean that will grow and produce here. Looking at your long rows of beans then looking at my meagre attempts makes me snicker but hey I'm thinking it's a good thing I don't have acreage, I'd be totally out of control by now.

Annette

• jimster
    12 years ago

"There is a great bunch of bean fanatics here."

You can say that again! And you are one of the best. Post whenever you can.

Jim

• crnagora95
    12 years ago

I love the beans pictures!! Everything looks so delicious.

• Ispahan Zone6a Chicago
    12 years ago

Gorgeous bean photos! What a rare treat to see the flowers and growth habits of so many heirloom beans.

I concur that 'Soissons Vert' performs better in cooler temperatures. The blossoms seem to just drop without setting pods in temperatures much above 90 F. I am surprised that those of you in PNW have not trialled this variety yet.

• dlsm
    12 years ago

Roger, those are some beautiful beans. I really enjoyed the photo clip. That is about as beautiful a garden as I have saw on this website. Looks like you have been 100% successful this season. Makes my little back yard garden look puny.

Luther

Sponsored
Third-Generation Family-Owned Masonry Supplier in Virginia