Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mystery Beans

Posted by christie_sw_mo Z6 (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 28, 09 at 0:28

I'm hoping you can help me identify some dry bean seeds by decription.
They were large and looked like Scarlet Runner Bean seeds but they were black and white.
Is it impossible to tell without a photo?
They were in a pint mason jar at a flea market and I was just curious what they were. I didn't buy them but I'd be tempted to go back if they might be something unusual.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mystery Beans

Well - they were only $3.00 for jar full of beans so I bought them. In better light, they don't really look black. They're mottled dark maroonish brown and creamy white.
I was kind of hoping they were some kind of Scarlet Runner Bean that I don't already have, but I think they might be Christmas Limas.
: ( I don't like limas. lol
I'll plant a few next spring anyway to see what they do.

o

If they're kind of flat, then I bet you are correct. When they are fresh, and not darkened with age, they are gorgeous.

George
Tahlequah, OK

o

They darken with age? These were in a flea market so they are likely old. lol I wouldn't eat them but I bet they'll still germinate.
I don't mind the taste of limas but they have a dryish texture that I don't like. Maybe I just need to find a good recipe to change my mind.
The beans are large and the glass jar they were in has one of those flip top lids so they make a nice decoration if nothing else. I have them sitting on a shelf in my kitchen. : )

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here