Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Beans in heat of inland southern CA

Posted by csross 9 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 18, 13 at 1:28

I'm a first-time gardener in inland SoCal, growing Provider bush beans and Blue Lake pole beans. My first crop of bush beans were great and are now spent, so I tore them out recently. My second batch and the pole beans are growing well, but not producing beans any more. I assume it's too hot for them to be setting fruit, since we're averaging 95F and have had spans of over 100. Considering this is still only mid-July, and we can expect the same weather until Sept, what should I do with my beans? Not bother planting any more bush beans until late Aug? Do I rip out the pole beans and replant them later too? Or just water heavily and try to string them along until it cools off? Thanks for your advice!
-Chris

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Beans in heat of inland southern CA

Here in Oklahoma we have heat very similar to yours. The heat is almost certainly what's keeping them from setting pods. If the plants look alright, I just keep them watered and hope that they survive in good enough condition to bear fruit in the fall.

If you can coax a new planting of bush beans along, it is good to get another planting started. I've planted in August and had a good crop of bush beans before our average October 23 frost.

Chris, another idea to consider for next year is to try something like Rattlesnake pole beans. They set pods in hotter temperatures than most pole beans.

George
Tahlequah, OK

o
RE: Beans in heat of inland southern CA

Tepary beans are native to and are grown in the low desert of the southwest so that is one option. I would read through the descriptions of beans on internet seed vendors and look for the ones described as being heat & drought tolerant; Native Seed/Search is the best source. Probably any of the Hopi beans as they dry garden. Southern Exposure is another good source for warmer parts of the country. I came across a bush lima bean, Jackson Wonder with that in the description. Blue Coco is another one. Look into cowpeas and yardlong beans. I wouldn't rip out the polebeans, as soon as the temps come down they will start flowering and setting fruit, lots of them because the plants are big and have lots of foliage.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here