Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
I give up! Planting yardlongs tomorrow!!

Posted by dancinglemons 7+ (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 6, 10 at 1:54

OK folks, it is 100++ for the next week and it was 100+ last week. No rain for the past 3-4 weeks around here and my pole beans are all leaves. I knew I should have planted the yardlongs!! !@#$%^&*() Tomorrow in the 103 heat I will be planting yardlongs! At least I will get some beans in August.
just needed to vent.....will go to sleep now....

DL

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: I give up! Planting yardlongs tomorrow!!

• Posted by anney Georgia 8 (My Page) on
    Tue, Jul 6, 10 at 10:50

DL

I hope you have room to leave the pole beans in place so they can do their thing a little later on. My beans and tomatoes have begun to pick back up -- our weather cooled a great deal last week and looks to continue that way for at least a week or more. Since we're south of you, I thought maybe the cooling streak would head your way, too. Our nighttime temps are in the low sixties now, daytimes in the high 80s, not bad for early July!

o

Thanks for the encouragement anney! I will leave the pole beans in place -but- just in case I've put in some yardlongs. We got to 102 today and are expected to get up to 103/104 tomorrow. I know the folks in the desert get this weather all the time - but for us it is different. We usually get afternoon rains when the days are above 100. Good news is we might get some rain on Thursday.

DL

o

The funny thing is, DL, I just planted my yardlongs too... because until recently, it has been too cool & wet. Maybe somewhere between us is a happy medium???

Fortunately, I started my yardlongs in pots in mid-June, so I haven't lost too much time. Could be a real race to get seed from my pole varieties, though. The Chinese bush variety ("Yancheng Bush", from a member of this forum) matures much more quickly.

o

We've been up to 115 the past two weeks. Last night at 10 it was 104! I got one yard long bean and it started drying up before it was fully filled. My butter peas have some of the leaves turning crispy.
They are predicting the monsoon will start anyday but until then it's too hot for anything except the Armenian cuke!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here