Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Central Virginia - too late for pole beans - see text

Posted by dancinglemons 7+ (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 19, 09 at 2:40

Hello all,

I am in Central Virginia. We usually have our first frost in early November. I have some Italian Pole beans that I am planting within the next 1-2 days. I have already soaked & presprouted the seeds. Does anyone think I will have a chance to get a fair harvest of beans. The DTM on these beans is 60-70. By my calculations I have 90 days of growing before frost -BUT- will the plants produce in September and October. If you are in zone 7A or 7B give me your thoughts and experiences.

Thanks,
DL

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Central Virginia - too late for pole beans - see text

Good question and my answer is yes. I am on the border of 7b/8a. I plant fall beans end of July first week in Aug. There is still plenty of time for Southern peas also so plant some of them too. Make sure you mark your calender for Sat. Sept 12 to attend the fall harvest festival sponsered by Soutern exposure seeds at Jeffersons Montalto. Lots of good speakers and then there is me and I will be speaking on Beans namely southern peas. I will also run the seed swap that morning. Rodger

o
RE: Central Virginia - too late for pole beans - see text

OK I should have read this post before answering the other. I have put Sept 12 on my calendar. Thanks for the info on So. Peas I have some that I did not plant last year and they will go in now.

DL

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here