Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Keeping flageolets

Posted by mauirose 11 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 1, 09 at 3:51

tried a quick search but didn't pull anything up (except for some intersting but unrelated reading).

i planted some flageolets for the first time this year. They are OK, a little thick skinned but that might be my fault for waiting too long to harvest. A few beans were already drying on the vine when i picked them. i thought i would be able to see the beans inside the pod but they never really swelled that much even tho the beans have reached a mature size.

i have a pretty big sackful and would like to freeze them. They make a pretty good bean dip. Do i need to blanch them first? Would it be better to dry them and store in mason jars?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Keeping flageolets

"Would it be better to dry them and store in mason jars?"

That depends upon the stage they were in when harvested. If the pods were already dry, then dry the beans further after shelling. Keeping your location in mind, you might need to dry them in an air conditioned room, or use desiccant, to lower the moisture content to the proper level. Once properly dried, you can store them in jars in a cool, dark place.

If the beans were harvested in the green shell stage & are still soft, then you have two choices. You could blanch 3 minutes & freeze, which I recommend to preserve their delicate flavor.

If the pods were mostly ripe when harvested, you could also try drying them... but you'd want to dry the pods quickly (preferably under a fan) to avoid mildew. Once dry, shell out the beans, and finish drying as above. These beans might not store as well as those picked fully dry, so use them fairly soon.

o

Thanks!

o

Flagolets are among my favorite shell beans. I like to get them when they're still plump, but the pods have begun to lighten in color. I agree with zeedman -- blanching until barely cooked and then freezing is best. When handled like that, flagolets make the greatest succotash!

o

what kind of flageolets did you plant? i tried 'Flagrano' from Johnny's. Other than the thick skins, which i already mentioned, i like them a lot.

The pods on Flagrano seemed to dry first and then lighten. Next time i'm going to try to get them when the pods feel full but haven't begun to dry.

i puree them with lemon juice, garlic and olive oil and call it 'Flageolet Hummus' served with toasted pita chips for dipping. it's an idea i borrowed from a nearby restaurant that serves something they call 'Edamame Hummus' as their bread service. Today i am serving it with curry spiced olive oil floated on top. The puree is also good on toasted crostini topped with cherry tomatoes and sprinkled with minced rosemary.

i am going through my frozen beans very quickly!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here