Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Massive runner bean seeds, and planting question

Posted by ashita Tokyo (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 19, 13 at 5:18

These are massive runner bean seeds from Japan. I was hoping they would turn out to be the Insuk ones everyone talks about, but perhaps not. They are 1 and 3/8 inches long!

And a question about planting now. Tokyo average max temps are
July 85,
Aug 91,
Sep 80,
Oct 70,
Nov 61,
although we do get much hotter days in July and August, sometimes about 100.

Is it possible to get another crop? Is it too hot now to plant the seeds?

Any ideas gratefully received,

Ashita

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Massive runner bean seeds, and planting question

• Posted by drloyd 7B Western WA (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 19, 13 at 9:02

Hello Ashita. That is very large for a fresh shelly bean and huge for dry seeds.

How long does it take to produce a crop of these? When do you expect your first frost? - Dick

o

They are dry seeds, Dick! And I have no idea how long it takes! I bought these in a grocery store. These ones are grown in Japan, but I also found them on a Japanese website, but from China. According to the packet they are grown in the cooler areas of the country.

I am in central Tokyo and we don't really have much frost! December is still quite warm.Outside the city they do, in January I think.

I am hoping to get a crop of beans this year (my garden is very small, and perhaps crop is wishful thinking). I planted too late this spring, and the weather got too hot, and I only got about two servings of green beans. I don't really mind what variety I grow!

Ashita

o

Sat, Jul 20, 13 at 11:50

I would assume 120 days to dry seed and would try planting them 4 months before possible frost. - Dick

o

Runner beans are from the highlands of Mexico. They are adapted to a cool long season temperate climate. They don't do well above about 85 degrees. In my experience, the larger the beans, the longer they take to mature. I would suggest 5 months (150 days) as a safe number for planning on a crop.

o

Tue, Jul 23, 13 at 9:04

150 days makes sense. So if you planted them soon they would be blossoming in cooler weather.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here