Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Would I Have Enough Time To Cross Pollinate?

Posted by QuisqueyaBeans none (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 23, 13 at 7:10

▶ I recently planted a Pinto Bean & I have a 1 month old Navy bean .
I heard it will take a while for beans to mature so do you think I would have time to cross pollinate?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Would I Have Enough Time To Cross Pollinate?

These beans do not need to be cross pollinated, they are both of the type phaseolus vulgaris. They pollinate themselves, even before the blossoms open. You get beans from both varieties without any bees or other insects pollinating and you don't need two varieties for pollination.

o

I get where you are going with this question:

If you want to try a deliberate cross, all you need are two flowers at the same time. Beans do not flower all at once but over time, so there could well be enough overlap. Easier if you had more than one plant each of course.

o

Thank you Galina.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here