Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fall Planting Sugar snaps

Posted by garliclady z7 NC (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 5, 06 at 8:12

When should I plant sugar snaps for fall here in zone 7. We usually have frost(light) in mid to late october but the real cold doesn't set in till December. I have done this once and they did ok but I failed to write down when I planted the peas.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fall Planting Sugar snaps

I plan on planting mine in September, but of course I'm in zone 9! Have you checked the North Carolina cooperative extension website? They have lots of pdfs in the vegetable section that might have the info you're looking for.

o

I checked there first but sugar snaps or snow peas are not in their fall crops list- But so are other things that I grow every fall. When you plant in Sept when do you harvest? Maybe that will give me a time frame of when I need to plant.

o

I haven't planted in the fall before but I would expect to harvest about 60 days after planting. So some time in November for me. I would count back about 70 days from your first expected light frost. I planted my spring crop in January and they survived a couple of (light) frosts with no problem (I covered them) so I'm not too worried about an unexpected cold front taking them out. :)

o

garliclady

Down here on the Eastern shore of MD, I start planting mine Sep.15 every year. Three types, Anne, Lace II and regular sugar snap. All three rows are over a foot high and doing well. Just made a second sowing on the 28th and will do sucessive plantings every 10 or 12 days until Dec. Had a crop all last winter until about mid January. Make sure you soak them first and use a good soil innoculant. Got close to a 100 per cent germination this year. Plant fall lettuces and other crops in between rows. Gave up on garlic though.

edgman/Tom R

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here