Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bush beans

Posted by animaldrj 6 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 8, 11 at 9:00

My bush beans are very "short" this year (the actual beans, not the plants) and I am wondering if it is a soil problem. They are in a raised bed, get adequate watering and have been fertilized with homemade compost. We do have extremely hot summers (100+) and the leaves do appear to have many yellow leaves with holes...any ideas?

Joe

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bush beans

how often are you watering.
did you use inoculant when you planted the seeds.

o

Due to the hot dry weather we have had, they get watered everyday. I usually don't water every day, but it has been AWFUL! I did not use inoculant and have never had to in the past. The beans are EZ pick variety...

o

At the risk of sounding dumb...What is "inoculant"?
I am planting beans now becuz of our hot summer mine do better in the winter here "zone 9" Orlando FL
Thanx
Carmen

o

Have you grown beans before in the same bed and gotten good results? If so, maybe it's not the soil. It could be the heat, which affects viability of pollen, and could result in fewer beans being set. My fava beans are much shorter than last year too, some pods only have one bean instead of several. You could be watering too much, too. Every day sounds like it might be too much. Maybe you could let them dry out till they begin to wilt, then water again. Or use mulch.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here