Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Dilly Beans--type and recipes please!

Posted by leasa 5 (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 2, 06 at 9:27

Hi,

I'm hoping someone can clue me in on a GREAT dilly bean.

I grew a nice straight beans that worked great for dillys years ago, even got some prizes at the local fair for the canned beans. But recently I have been unable to grow nice straight beans. We now live on the coast of Maine instead of in the mountains of Western Maine.

Also, if you have a recipe for dilly beans that you'd like to share please do!!

Thanks!

Leasa

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Dilly Beans--type and recipes please!

Found a prior post over on the Harvest Forum that shows some recipes....

Here is a link that might be useful: Dilly Beans Link

o

Virtually any bean works; not only common beans but also immature (i.e., green) cowpeas and even yard long beans.

Naturally, the straighter the bean the better because they fit in the jars better.

We prefer Striped Bunch for dilly beans. Seems to be the perfect balance of size, texture, and taste for being pickled. Not all of them are perfectly straight, but that's a trade-off we can live with.

o

My best recommendation would be the pole variety "Emerite". They are straight & very round, moderate length (up to 7"), and have a very firm texture that lends itself well to pickling. They also have good cool-soil germination, which should be an asset for coastal Maine. Pinetree & Vermont Bean both carry it.

o

Thanks for the advice everyone!

I think I will add them to my seed wants when I get some time to update it.

Maybe I can get them in a trade.

Leasa

o

The best ones we ever made were from a French Fillet bean, a very, very slender bean, half the dia of a pencil, and done up with white wine vinegar, garlic, and lots of dill. The drawback was packing the things into the jars, it seemed to take about 15 minutes to pack a jar, and about 3 minutes for my kids to eat it, and to get the kids to help pack them was like pulling teeth.

Now, we use an immature, flat Italian type bean that is still very tender when its about a foot long, so I can snip one in half. So, like Gardenlad sez, any bean will work. Only recipe thing I can think of is adding tarragon to the jar, and two dill seed heads is just about right for a qt.

It now takes about 3 minutes to pack a jar, and 2.5 min to eat it.

o

David, do I understand right? You're using both tarragon and dill in the same jar?

Tarragon, by itself, is a nice variation on the theme. But I would think that it would conflict with the dill?

o

Hi all;
I just made my first batch ever of dilly beans! Me and Hubby cant wait to try them, but Im thinking they need to sit awhile to develop the flavors-anyone have any idea how long that might be?

Thanks!!!
mmarla

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here