Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How can I make hybrid beans?

Posted by AyitiBeans none (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 20, 13 at 9:34

I planted a Navy Bean one month ago and this month I planted a Pinto bean & I planted them by each other . Now the the roots are crossing with each other .

Now how can I get hybrids?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How can I make hybrid beans?

It is not easy. You have to open the flower and hand transfer pollen from one flower to the other. Technically to get a pure hybrid you have have to remove the pollen from the flower you wish to pollinate (to keep it from self pollinating) (That why there are no hybrid beans for production)

o

I am a firm believer that all named beans are either stable hybrids or mutations
There are just too many varieties to think otherwise
Very few resemble their wild ancesters
The catalogs are filled with new varieties each year.
They had to have been crossed by someone or insect.producing a hybrid
The word hybrid does not always mean crossing different species
Charlie

o

A stable hybrid is an OP. Lots of professionals do hybridize beans but only for the purpose of creating new varieties. It is very labor intensive. Once a hybrid is created then it is grown out for multiple generations until it is stable. Just not feasible at this point to make hybrids (and we are talking F1) in mass. Fortunately if you can create a couple of lbs of seeds, then you can commence the grow out and selection process. 7-9 generations to get an OP.

o

I would like to see a black seeded flat roma type bean as black seeded varieties do better in this climate than the regular romas,which we love
Maybe it is something some of us can work on.
Charlie

o

I doubt that the color of the seed has anything to do withit. But Black Seeded Marconi (Romano type) and Super Marconi (Roma type) may be a place to start your trials.

o

Super Marconi did well last year and is a complete bust this year besides we do not care for the taste as we do the white seeded
If I wanted to hybridize beans I would cross the black seeded varieties that was bred for the gulf coast states with the white seeded varieties bred in Holland, Germany and cooler areas
Charlie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here