Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sortaorganic

Lima blossoms falling off

SortaOrganic
11 years ago

We are growing "Big Mama" Lima's for the first time this year. They were slow to start, but climbed the trellis like crazy once they got going. Many of the vines are now between 10 and twelve feet tall. (Yeah, I have a very large commercial step ladder!) I decided not to top them because I wanted to see how high they would climb, and also to see how the side shoots produced on their own. There has been vigorous side shoot growth for the past 2 weeks as well as plenty of blooms, and many more of them forming. The mature leaves are dark green in color, and are as large as my hand. The problem is no beans are forming. They blooms open for a few days, and just fall off. Other Lima's in the garden are not having this problem. We did have a few weeks with the temps between 90 and a 100, but all the other Lima's and bush beans didn't seem bothered by it, and the "Big Mama's" look just as healthy and happy as the rest of the garden. I have been feeding about every 7_10 days with fish emulsion 5-1-1. (Gad that stuff stinks!) Any ideas?

Comment (1)

Sponsored
Emily Rudolph Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars25 Reviews
Hands-On & Collaborative Columbus Interior Designer