Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
halted seedlings

Posted by jardinerowa 10 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 2, 10 at 10:16

Hello all,

So I'm in the desert southwest where it's been 100-110 lately and I recently started bush beans outside. (I know I know, it's too hot). Some are in peat pots and others thrown in good dirt. They all of course sprouted and gave their first true leaves. I can see the next true leaves as little "nubs" but they don't grow. None of them GROW. They aren't sick looking or dying, they just are halted. I also started eggplant and they are progressing fine. I'm not sure what the problem is. I was thinking the ones in the peat pot need more root room so I was going to transplant them to a large container, but that doesn't explain why the beans in the ground aren't progressing either. Any ideas?

I was told beans and eggplants (especially the latter) can do well in hot weather and so am trying these out.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: halted seedlings

Update:

About two weeks later and I after planted all the beans in containers, they still have essentially sat there and done nothing. They are trying to grow their next set of true leaves but they aren't growing fast enough. Because of their slowness to grow, I've lost some to birds already. I have them in little sun in the morning so they don't fry in the 110 degree weather. I know beans like hot weather. I have seen no pests.

In the backyard, my eggplant seedlings have taken off in the same heat. Had a problem with whiteflies but my attempts to take care of them are paying off.

Z

o
RE: halted seedlings

There might be a few things slowing down your been progress. Most beans like warm weather, but 110 degrees is HOT! Some Asian beans might fair well in it, but other beans start to protest when it's 95 degrees outside give or take.

Also beans don't like to have their roots disturbed.

The white flies you can just spray away with water.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here