Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
booberry85

Anybody Else Disappointed with Fortex?!?

booberry85
13 years ago

I've read so many wonderful things about Fortex pole beans. I'm so surprised at their lack of enthusiasm for being in my garden. I got a late start in planting pole bean. They were planted in mid-June along with the rest of my pole beans. I planted Cherokee Trail of Tears, Rattlesnake Poles, Kentucky Wonder Wax, Lazy Housewaife, Case Knife, shrimp beans (don't have the official name on hand right now) and Asparagus beans (Burpee - gotten from a big box store.)

Most of my pole beans are well up their poles and starting to produce flowers. However, my Fortex and asparagus beans seem to be growing very slowly. At this point they are only about a foot high and are just starting to set out runners to climb the poles. Both the Fortex seeds(Territorial Seed) and Asparagus seeds (Burpee) were bought new this year. I'm so surprised at the lack of progress of the Fortex beans considering the progress of the others I'm growing.

We've had crazy weather (welcome to NY!) June we had record wet weather (7-9 inches of rain) and July we've had record hot(in the 90's most days) dry weather. I thought the asparagus beans in particular would like the hot weather.

Thanks for any advice on what's going on here.

Comments (19)

• cabrita
    13 years ago

I have much different climate than you do, but the Fortex was a failure for us this year (did not even recover my seed) and a partial failure last year. I planted late last year, but this year I planted at a pretty ideal time for my zone. Kentucky wonder tastes as good as Fortex to me, even though the pods are much smaller. I have had the opportunity to taste Fortex, from a friend in Oregon that grows them (and they do well for him) and I also was able to grow some last fall. Nothing this year though. Our spring has been cool but sunny, much different than what you describe. Anyone else having problems with Fortex? My seed was from Johnny's selected seeds.

• jillzee
    13 years ago

My seed is two years old now (I got it from Burpee's), but this has actually been the best year I've had with them! They're producing like crazy, even with the downpours...

Not sure why yours are having trouble, booberry. I'm near Rochester.

Sorry they aren't working out for you!!
    Jill

• alisande
    13 years ago

I can't say I'm disappointed with them (yet), but I'm a little surprised to find them lagging so far behind the Kentucky Wonders. I planted both of them late, the Fortex two days later than KW. Both varieties look healthy, but the KWs are so much taller. Some of the plants are at around nine feet, vs. a maximum of four feet for the Fortex. The gap may close at some point......I hope it will.

I'll be very interested in the taste test. I hope you'll post your opinion, Booberry.

• guavalane
    13 years ago

I'm not disappointed, just puzzled. Do they take breaks? The metal arch has a base span of 18", Fortex and Red Noodle were planted on each side on May 2. Since July 4th I have picked 10 pounds of Fortex. At 10" or 11" they are string less and the flavor is fantastic. But it seems to be taking a break now. The leaves are green and look healthy but no more flowers. Should I fertilize? (The Red Noodle is coming in - I pick them at 18").

• riverfarm
    13 years ago

Hmmm, I planted my Fortex on May 10th, along with bush beans Pelandron and Fingourmet. The first two were from seeds I saved, the third one was from a packet from France bought last spring. Although the plants are full-grown and lush, none of them is producing much. Usually all three are quite prolific over a long period of time. I don't know whether beans don't like the intense heat we've had this summer or what's going on.

But the Fortex is my favorite; I love the flavor with its slight sweetness and beany taste. I've grown it for years because we like it so much, and this is the first time it's disappointed. I still have some packages of beans from last year, when I was getting baskets of them each time I picked. This year I'm lucky if I get one 8 oz package of each of them each time I pick.

• alisande
    13 years ago

Well, that explains my situation. We had major heat for quite some time.

• josieoh-05
    13 years ago

I am in NE Ga. and this is my first year with Fortex and we really like them. they have been very prolific. Even in the heat we have had over the last weeks, they just keep producing. Really like the taste to. I will surely plant again.
    josieoh-05

• happyday
    13 years ago

Riverfarm, you can try to force flowering with an application of phosphorus, or bone meal if you can't get phosphorus.

Do you actually get to France for visits? Lucky you! Have you gone gleaning in the fields? Have you tried the small french plums?

• riverfarm
    13 years ago

HappyDay, it looks like I should be getting more beans since there are lots of flowers, so I'm going to let them do their own thing this year. I've never had to force before and I'm not sure what's up.

We haven't been for a few years; we went in 2006 and 2007. We have friends there whom we visit, but we usually stay in a gîte and do a lot of exploring on our own. We love the south of France! I haven't tried the small French plums; we usually go in the fall around the vendange when the sunflowers are just fading. Figs are ripe then, though, and that's always lovely.

• booberry85
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone. We're suppose to have temps in the 70's & 80's for the next week or so. Maybe that will help promote a growth spurt.

• booberry85
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Well I found out the problem with my Fortex beans. They're not Fortex at all! They're asparagus beans! The package must have been mislabeled. So I picked the first of the asparagus beans today.

• remy_gw
    13 years ago

LOL! Well that sure does explain it.
    Remy

• fusion_power
    13 years ago

booberry,

Fortex makes very long beans 12 to 14 inches and nearly round. They could almost be mistaken for asparagus beans if you are not familiar with both types.

DarJones

• riverfarm
    13 years ago

How did you realize what they were? At least Fortex is no longer getting a bad rap!

• alisande
    13 years ago

I picked my first Fortex beans this week. I had no idea they were so long! I wasn't sure how large I should let them grow, so I picked them at 10 or 11" and still fairly slender. They were delicious!

I wrote above that they were lagging far behind my Kentucky Wonders. Well, I take it back. My KWs have a few flowers on them now, but not even an embryonic bean, whereas the Fortex beans have . . . beans!

• booberry85
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I have asparagus beans growing on the teepee next to the "Fortex" beans. They're exactly the same. Ready for picking on the same day! I know I didn't get the seeds confused. I mapped it out as I was planting. The "Fortex" are no different than the asparagus beans. I have grown asparagus beans before. So I'm familiar with what they look like.

• themajorlift
    13 years ago

guavalane,

Your arch covered with beans looks great! How many beans seeds did you plant on each side?

• guavalane
    13 years ago

Major, I crowded them by putting 2 or 3 seeds every 6".

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH