Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this normal? Black Bean Plants turning yellow

Posted by kingdvd74 5-6 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 19, 13 at 11:58

Hello everyone! Longtime reader, first time poster. I live in Indianapolis and planted black, navy, pinto and kidney beans in my Garden Tower Project container with about 10 plants each around the sides and on May 20th. They are growing great, especially the black and navy with long healthy looking pods. The others are vining and just started growing pods about 3 weeks ago or so. I'm growing them to dry. The last few days it has been in the low to mid 90's with the deck temp reaching 100 or over but the area gets sun from 11am to 2pm and 4pm to 7pm so it gets a break. The yellowing of the leaves and pods started slightly along the bottom rows first but not so bad until I noticed this morning the pods too are yellowing on all of my black and navy plants. I've been taking pictures pretty much daily of the whole container and some close ups. Not sure how to post multiples so I'll start with today's. I'm new at growing beans so I don't know if this is happening because they are reaching their end or if it is a disease. My other beans are still nice and green but I noticed something strange on one of the leaves. I'll post a pic of it too. Thanks for your help and look forward to your insightful responses. If there is another thread that addresses this please post a link. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this normal? Black Bean Plants turning yellow

This was taken 7/13/13

o

Pinto bean problem?

o

front of tower 7/19/13

o

back side of tower 7/19/13

o

tower 5/20/13

o

It is normal for dry type beans, Black, Pinto, Navy etc to turn yellow and defoliate as the pods dry. Makes harvest easier.

o

So I should slow my watering of that side to allow them to dry more on vine or pull the plants and hang them in my hot shed to dry further? There are some that still have green pods on them. leave those alone? Thanks for replying.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here