Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
winemaker1942

Pink Tip Beans

winemaker1942
17 years ago

Has anyone grown PinkTip beans Or know of a source for seed??? I bought some fresh at a local farmers market..but when I've tried to buy seed at a bulk seed stores, I'm told I can only get it through "Hand me down".. I don't know anyone who grow's them..

Thanks for any help.

P.S. They're look like a garden bean-yellowish with pink on blossom end

Comments (9)

• fliptx
    17 years ago

If you're a member of PASS, you can get them if you agree to collect seeds from successful growouts. I'm not a member (yet) but there are some really interesting seeds. Or maybe you can find someone who's already a member and has saved seeds themselves. :)

• fliptx
    17 years ago

Oh I forgot to say, since there's no description of the beans on that site, I can't say for sure they're the same ones you're looking for. But it might be a starting place!

• gardenlad
    17 years ago

The Pink Tip, or White Hull Pink Tip is an heirloom from eastern Tennessee and western North Carolina. So it's likely the one listed at PASS is the same.

AHSC (Appalachian Heirloom Seed Conservancy) has it as an accession, originally from John Coykendall, in Knoxville. Seed is available, but, again, just to members. Although it will be available at the seed swap during the annual AHSC Fall Conference in October, and non-members can obtain some then.

White Hull Pink Tip is a fairly large pole wax bean that starts with the typical yellow pod color. As it matures, however, the pod turns white, and a bright pink color appears at the blossom end. This pink, over time, extends into the valleys between the filled-out beans, following the zipper line.

Beans themself are a mahagony color, with a dark circle around a white eye.

It's one of the most gorgeous pole beans you can grow. But, frankly, it's comparatively tough-hulled compared to most wax beans. Haven't tried it, but I suspect they are better as a canner than as a fresh-eating bean.

• winemaker1942
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks fliptx and gardenlad...
    I went to those web sites on one it's listed but not available.The other AHSC..doesn't have a way to order.. I guess I'll keep trying locally.

• rodger
    17 years ago

Winemaker, Gardenlad told you how to get some seeds. Come to the AHSC annual swap and get together. There will be lots of guest speakers on various aspects of Heirloom gardening, several members with seeds to swap, a cookout and best of all you can personnally meet Brook(Gardenlad). What else could you ask for. Rodger who will be there with about 40 varieties of peas and beans to swap.

• winemaker1942
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Rodger,
    I know gardenlad told me how to get some seed but just where ia the annual meeting in Oct. held???will you or some one there have Pink Tips for sure..With the cost of gas.... West Jefferson,NC ...Seems a long way to go Kentucky for beans

• gardenlad
    17 years ago

It's in Berea, October 6-8. And there definately will be White Hull Pink Tips there, along with probably a hundred or more other heirloom beans, twice that number of tomatoes, and who all knows what else.

But you won't be coming just for the beans; you'll be coming for the great line-up of speakers, the two formal seed swaps, the meet & greet with like-minded growers, and the fantastic Saturday night cook-out and gab fest.

If you ask for the conference info at KentuckySeeds@hotmail.com we'll see that you get the whole package.

Alternatively, you could just join AHSC. You get free seeds anyway with your membership, and if you request them, we'll make sure that your freebie is the White Hull Pink Tip. Send your snail mail addy to the above address, and we'll send a brochure right out.

• barbara_mel
    17 years ago

Can one come to the AHSC Swap if we have no heirloom seeds to swap? I have many seeds but none that I know of are heirloom varieties.
    Mel

• gardenlad
    17 years ago

Mel, everybody, members and non-members alike, is welcome to the AHSC Conference. During the swaps seeds are traded, sold, and just given away to interested growers.

Last year something like 180 heirloom vegetable varieties changed hands.

To attend the seed swaps (which, by the way, run 8-10 in the morning on both Saturday and Sunday) you must register for the conference.

For for details, contact AHSC at KentuckySeeds@hotmail.com.

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia