Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bean Rust

Posted by tanya47 calif 10 (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 2, 09 at 13:37

Help. My kentucky wonder beans are hit with rust, last year they went great all summer. this year, i am in a community garden, and my neighbour to the east is growing huge sunflowers which are shading the beans.
will cutting off the infected leaves help? do i need to just take out the plants entirely. I don't want it to infect my bush limas, only a few feet away.
help. is it too late, July 1, to plant some fortex for late summer, fall?
Thanks for all advice!!!!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bean Rust

My sympathies. I went through that with my own "Kentucky Wonder" beans in the 1990's, during a very cool, wet summer... kind of like this one. My vines were over-crowded at the time, which didn't help matters.

Moisture is your enemy, so do not use overhead irrigation. If you are to have any hope of saving the plants, you need to provide enough airflow for the leaves to breathe - and dry out. This might necessitate some thinning, and perhaps some removal of foliage. This will not cure the disease, however, only slow its spread. It might give you time to harvest whatever beans might already be growing.

Tanya, I lived in SoCal for quite a few years; does your area suffer from the "June gloom"? I'm guessing that's the main problem. The coastal fogs in the morning keep the leaves wet, and can make it very difficult to deal with rust. If you can't keep the vines dry right now, you still might be able to save them. Pick off all of the leaves, and any flowers or pods, and dispose of them. If they are kept watered, the stems should sprout new leaves & branches - hopefully about the time that the fogs disappear.

If you want to just start over, you have plenty of time to do so. "Fortex" would be a good choice, since it has demonstrated excellent resistance to rust. You might want to move them further away from the sunflowers, if that is at all possible.

o
RE: Bean Rust

Zeedman, Yes you hit it right on the nail...June gloom here in Santa Monica has been thick this spring.
I have been vigilant not to do any overhead watering or spraying in my garden, I am a beginner gardener, and I am learning that, with good mulch, I don't hardly need to water at all.
The other problem with my neighbor is that she does spray water, every evening! I have( nicely ) asked her NOT to overspray on to my plants, but she really doesnt get it at all
Thank you for you good advice!! I will follow it, and plant some fortex elsewhere in my plot.
very best regards!!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here