Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rubber_duckie_27

Mosaic only affecting pole beans?

rubber_duckie_27
17 years ago

I have what I think is yellow mosaic that's hit my pole beans (Kentucky Wonder) - it started with the yellowed bottom leaves but since the plants were vining nicely I didn't worry. Now the yellow mottled leaves are progressing up the vines and the leaves up on the vines have that krinkled curled look.

I have bush beans planted directly adjacent to the pole beans and they're already producing pods in a prolific manner...my guess is they'll be harvested within the week. The pole beans (unknown kind - transplanted seedlings) are unaffected by the mosaic. Is it normal to have the mosaic not hitting one variety of bean when within a foot or two there are pole beans that are affected?

I am planting in a raised bed built by the house's previous owners. The neighbors said that the previous owner only planted tomatoes and cukes in the bed (no peas or beans). I use insecticidal soap consistantly and didn't SEE aphids (although that doesn't mean they weren't there). We had major rains on several occasions this season. The plants looked completely normal until after the most recent rains a week or two ago.

I planted some Kentucky Blue seeds close to the line of affected Kentucky Wonder. Should I rip out the affected plants ASAP? The Kentucky Blue have not sprouted yet. I'd certainly like to give the new plants a fighting chance.

I planted a second batch of bush beans in a completely separate raised bed, near some pepper plants. Do I need to worry about them being hit by yellow mosiac? They are Blue Lake bush variety. Since my first crop of bush beans were completely fine and were right next to the pole beans, I'm hopeful...

One last item. Where my current close-to-harvest bush beans are, I plan to plant fall peas next month. Do I need to worry about yellow bean mosaic affecting peas? Should I have a plan for knocking aphids out? I am not opposed to using pesticides, although the insecticidal soap has worked well with other insects.

This fall we're ripping out the old beds and hubby is building me four 4'x4' square foot gardening-type beds, which will get all new soil. Hopefully this won't be an issue next year.

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Davidson Builders
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Franklin County's Full-Scale General Contractor