Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How Would F1 & F2 NavyBeans X PintoBeans Look Like

Posted by QuisqueyaBeans none (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 22, 13 at 13:51

How Do I Know When The Beans Are Cross pollinating?

▶ I planted a Navy Bean a month ago and it is white, a month later I planted a Pinto Bean and the bean plants are really close to each other , I wanted to
know if the beans are cross Pollinating because the pinto bean roots are getting stuck together .

▶ Also How would I know when the seeds appear? Will they taste different or look different?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How Would F1 & F2 NavyBeans X PintoBeans Look Like

Beans (P. vulgaris) have closed blossoms and rarely cross pollinate. They have to exchange pollen. It is possible for bumble bees or something similar to open a blossom but it is a rare occurrence. At any rate you would not know until you grew out the saved seed.

o
RE: How Would F1 & F2 NavyBeans X PintoBeans Look Like

The F1 seed looks like the seed of mother plant, because seed coat is maternal material. Only the germ inside the seed coat contains the mixture of two varieties.

The F2 seed will show a wide variation in seed coat colour and also in size. Exactly what you will get, will vary.

Planting close together does not guarantee you will get any crosses at all. Unless you are planning to grow every last seed from this year's plants you will miss a possible cross anyway, because the F1 seed looks like the seed of the mother variety.

You can make deliberate crosses, but it is not so easy with beans. It is easier with peas if you wish to experiment.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here