Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
When to pick green beans

Posted by applebuilder North Orange County (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 19, 09 at 14:09

Just wondering when I should harvest green beans. I know people say to pick it before the seeds form lumps, but I tried one like that and it tasted 'green'. It seems to get a little sweeter if you let the seeds plump up a bit, but I've only tried a few so I don't have much to compare with. I don't think I've ever had homegrown beans before so is that just how they're supposed to taste? These are Kentucky Wonder's by the way, thanks! Oh, also I thought Kentucky Wonder pods were on the large side, but before these get to 4 inches they're already forming lumps.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: When to pick green beans

I don't grow KW's so I can't comment on the specific variety, but growing conditions will affect the size with smaller beans appearing during periods of stress.

Try picking them at different stages. Experience will teach you to recognize the phase of development when they best suit your tastebuds.

BTW, there's nothing wrong with not agreeing about the "right" stage for picking something. I like my greenbeans with little seed, but I prefer my squash a little more mature than most -- with seeds developing but not yet going hard.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here