Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
picking and shelling pink-eyes

Posted by chuck60 MO 5/6 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 29, 09 at 14:37

This is my first time growing Southern peas. The pods on my pink-eyes are getting purple and have seeds about as big as the black-eyed peas I'm familiar with as dried peas. I shelled one yesterday and it was a bit difficult getting the peas out without breaking them up. Should I let them mature a bit more and maybe they'll get easier to shell, or are they about right now? The pod seemed pretty tough, but the peas were nice raw....kinda like a raw peanut in flavor. I have two 50-60 foot rows, so I hope to get enough to freeze some. I'm planning to cook them about like I have done frozen black-eyes, with what Granny called streaked meat and some chopped onion, salt and pepper, with maybe a couple of dried cayenne peppers for good luck.

Chuck

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: picking and shelling pink-eyes

Typically when pink eye shells are full purple, it is time to use them for shellies. The shells at that point should be thin and leathery. If the pod is still fleshy they will be more difficult to shell.

o

Thanks Farmer. Mine are just getting to the full pruple stage so I guess I should let them go a bit longer. I just picked another one a few minutes ago and the pod is still pretty tough.

Chuck

o

Farmerdilla is right, as usual. Maturity of Pink Eye Purple Hulls shows clearly in the pod color. They are ready when the pod is totally deep, dark purple.

Enjoy.

Jim

o

I picked and shelled the first batch this past weekend. I only got a bit less than a quart of shelled peas, but there's another round ready to pick. How long do these usually produce? The plants look fine and healthy, not like my bush green beans which often start looking puny after the first picking.

We had green beans we needed to cook, so I froze most of the first picking, only saving out a half cup to throw in with the green beans. They were right tasty, though it is hard to separate out their taste from the beans. I figure to cook the next picking right away. I don't have any kind of sheller, but I got pretty good at zipping them open by the time I'd shelled the first batch. Seems like a good thumbnail helps!

Chuck

o

pink eye purple hull peas are so much tastier if picked with a variety of color. you can even pick the smallest ones and use as snaps. if you wait until all hulls are purple they will be drier tasting. I have planted, picked, cooked, and eaten them for 30 years. the sell of them in the garden makes my mouth water.

o

I agree with hulonfam
We pick all that are full no matter the color as we do not like to pick the same rows daily
To us the younger ones are more tasty

o

Thanks, hulonfam and hementia. I will try them that way. I'm always looking for the tried and true.

Jim

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here