Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flora_uk

Summer on a British allotment - scarlet runners and favas

flora_uk
15 years ago

For those of you who have been interested in favas and runners in the past this is what they look like in July over here. Normally the favas (broad beans) would be finished by now but I sowed a late row and the weather has been most unsummery, so they are still cropping. If you are wondering why some of the poles look bare, that is because I have made staggered sowings for succession and one end of the row is much shorter, younger plants than the other. Sorry about the nasturtiums. They seem to have crept into that album by mistake.

Here is a link that might be useful: Beans in Britain

Comments (6)

• jimster
    15 years ago

That is a most welcome post, Flora. For those of us who haven't had the opportunity to see gardening in the UK, it helps a lot. We're lucky to have you as a regular contributor because the perspective you provide is so helpful.

BTW, I really like nasturtiums. Yours are beautiful.

Jim

• flora_uk
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for your friendly comments Jim. I happened upon the gardenweb a long time ago when idly googling vegetable growing and have found it fascinating. The differences between gardening habits in our countries are quite marked and yet people have the same concerns and enthusiasms. I find it very addictive dropping in to see what you are all discussing. Flora.

• deanriowa
    15 years ago

Flora,

Welcome to the forum!

Like you I frequently check in on a forum across the pond(Grapevine in UK). It is very interesting to see how things are different and yet the same.

Are you from anywhere near Leatherhead/Bookham, as I spent a summer there once?

I know runner beans are common in Britain, but not as much here. I am growing runner beans for the first time this year, however not doing well, because my weather challenges this year. Maybe next year.

I hope we hear from you throughout the year.

Sincerely,
    Dean

• chaman
    15 years ago

Good pics.,Flora.
    I have a question about spots on leaves of Fava beans.Are they normally there when plant is growing.I had grown Fava few years back.Leaves had little larger black spots and there was more rusting kind thing at ends of the beans.Plants were straight up, not viney.
    Zuchini pic. has good exmple of male and female flowers.

• booberry85
    15 years ago

Thank you so much for sharing. The bean flowers and the nasturtiums are just beautiful. I got a late start this year. My pole beans are just starting to bloom.

Happy Gardening!
    Becky

• flora_uk
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Chaman - the little dark brown spots are broad bean rust. I get it every year but since it only strikes late in the season I ignore it. If it is a heavy outbreak the pods also get brown patches and can distort. But it's only the last few beans of the crop. Broad beans do not vine. They grow, as you say, on straight stalks between 12 inches and 4 feet depending on the variety. Beans can grow upwards or hang down, again depending on variety. A bonus is that the flowers are delightfully scented.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting