Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aftermidnight_gw

Mr. Tung's Pole beans

I did a search, couldn't find a thread specifically on them so I'll do a little update here.

In a nutshell this bean was brought to Canada over 100 years ago by a Chinese immigrant, Mr Tung. This is another bean that would have been lost if it wasn't for seed savers.

I just thought it was worth mentioning that although they have to be stringed, they can be eaten as a full bean, pods are tender and flavorful, or at least I think so. I've only eaten them as snap beans in the past.

These actually got away on me so before I designated them for seed I thought I would steam a couple and see if they were still edible at this stage, yes they are :).
Annette

Comments (16)

• Macmex
    9 years ago

I still have the 2009 seed you sent me. I need to plant it in 2015! They look great!

George
    Tahlequah, OK

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well George, you know where you can get a few more if you have a problem with germination :). My Mr. Tung's seed came straight from the family that Mr. Tung worked for, I also have Mr. Tung seed that has past through a few hands, seedy saturdays and such, the seed looks the same and so do the pods except when the pods are drying down they have a slight pink tinge to them.

Annette

• blue_skink
    5 years ago

Well, as we speak, I am about to go to the garden and plant my Mr. Tung's. Last year, of all the pole beans I tried out, I would say that Mr. Tung's did best.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    Original Author
    5 years ago

Blue skink, Mr Tung's do extremely well for me but from what I've heard they even have a better flavor where it's warmer like the interior of B.C. so they should really do well for you :).

Annette

• blue_skink
    4 years ago

Once again, I am full of praise for Mr. Tung's Bean; have just finished picking some. Also, I am just as pleased with Berta Talaska variety. I can't thank you enough, Annette. :)

• robert567
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

So they are long and kinda flat, but plump up with tan seeds? Sort of like a Caseknife that was brought to Europe then brought to China then brought back to N. America? So much diversity with beans, seems like beans from prior to 1900 are the best, after that they worried more about looks and commercial production.

Here is a link, that uses the picture above. That website is rather mysterious thou.

Mr Tung's Pole Beans

• blue_skink
    4 years ago
    last modified: 4 years ago

In that photo, the beans are well on their way to being soup beans. I pick them for summer eating when much more slender. They are more pencil shaped than flat., though not perfectly cylindrical either. The seeds are a kind of ugly taupe colour, don't know how else to describe them.

As for Case Knife beans, that is an interesting history. I believe they have white seed.

As for A'bunadh Seed Co., that surely is an unusual name. If I recall right, Mandy from Mandy's Greenhouse in Manitoba sold her seed to A'bunadh in Alberta if I recall right. But she is still a "hobbyist" and still doing business to some degree. Couldn't leave it alone...

• robert567
    4 years ago

Actually sound a lot like Fortex

• blue_skink
    4 years ago

@noki. Hi. Fortex seeds are much darker than the seeds I was given as "Mr. Tung's", a different colour altogether. Also, Fortex seems to grow much longer. I've never had any more than about 6-7". I grew Fortex once yrs ago.

• PRO
    Len NW 7a
    4 years ago

Greetings to those still on this thread, I am a gardener in US south of Seattle and an addict to heirloom beans. If I could get a few seeds to grow out Mr Tung's beans it would be fabulous.

• Macmex
    4 years ago

I had seed, but lost it. Here's a link where you can purchase the seed. The Sample Seed Shop is a great company. Just be aware that a single packet of seed will incur about $5 shipping and handling. I suspect that it's more economical to purchase more packets at a time. Still, this company has a really good selection.

The Sample Seed Shop Beans

• PRO
    Len NW 7a
    4 years ago

Thanks Macmex...I should have thought to check there!

• robert567
    3 years ago

Got some Mr. Tung's from The Sample Shop last Winter. My first bean type to pod this year. The few that plumped up did have a slight string. Perfectly fine beans. Shame that such pole beans have become a novelty, no wonder they were popular in home gardens 100+ years ago.

• PRO
    Len NW 7a
    3 years ago

Thanks for the pictures rbrt. I just got my Mr Tung beans in the ground inn 3 places around the gardens here. should get a crop before October frost.

• robert567
    3 years ago

I must agree with aftermidnight that Mr. Tung's are still quite edible and good after the pods fill up. The hull really puffs up thick like in the first picture above, still tender, and with the beany taste of the seeds. Need to pull a string when they are filled out but they seem unusually good when "old".

Whatever the past history of this green bean brought to a Canadian farm long ago was, I think the bean was chosen for more practical reasons, not for looks or convenience, not to sell seeds, but chosen to provide good food.

aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada thanked robert567
Sponsored