Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Over-mature green beans

Posted by curlysue11 (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 30, 10 at 15:36

I have a lot of over-mature (bush) green beans. They are still green, they have not started to yellow or dry out. Can I shell and freeze the shelled beans? Do I just blanch them and freeze? Thanks in advance! I'm still a relatively new gardener!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Over-mature green beans

Are they stringless, or have they developed strings? If you want to shell them they'd be better if they ripened to totally dry seeds, unless you want green shell beans. But if they are still tender and free of strings, you can freeze them whole and just make sure to saut them for a while when you go to cook them. Older beans are great with some onion and a bit of bacon or ham for flavoring. I put them in a pan with a little water and then allow the water to cook off and let the beans caramelize slightly in the oil, butter, or bacon fat.

You don't need to blanch string beans before freezing; you can just pop them into a freezer bag. I use the pint size because it works well as a serving for two people.

o

Try shelling a batch and cooking them in water with a little pork fat or olive oil. See how you like them. Most beans make decent, even excellent, shellies at that stage.

Jim

o

I have neglected Rattlesnake and Kentucky Wonder pole beans past tenderness of pod and with seeds that are approaching or have reached full size but far from hard yet. Can I shell them and cook them sort of as I might spring peas? (obviously cooking technique may need to vary per best flavor)

Here is a link that might be useful: Bill's Will:Misc Musings of a Techie

o

Here's what I did with the beans I left to dry on the vine a couple of years ago and posted to my blog. the "threshing worked well because the pods were completely dried out..

http://willyvon1-willyswill.blogspot.com/2010/11/farmer-bills-threshing-and-winnowing.html

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here