Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
utdeedee

Brown bunch beans---info....please.

utdeedee
16 years ago

My 3 rows of KY Wonder bush bean played their best and I pulled them up yesterday (had a whopping 3 bushel and a little more from just 3 short rows). I planted brown bunch bush beans and purple hull crowder cow peas after pulling the others. I had these as a kid to eat and loved them but have never grown them.

My question(s): I planted on July 4, is it that late (Zone 7a-E. TN);

Will the crowder peas need staking or are they bush?

When should brown bunch be about ready to pick?

I searched this site and the internet and could find no info. on brown bunch beans.

Thanks.

Comments (23)

• farmerdilla
    16 years ago

Have no idea what you planted as a brown bunch bean. There are dozens of brown seeded bush beans, both snap type and dry type. Regardless unless its something exotic, You should have plenty of time.

The Pink Eye Purple Hull cowpeas and the Purple Knuckle Hull crowder are bush types. No staking.

• utdeedee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

I bought the seed at a local garden store here in Knox. and it is their brand, Mayo Brown Bunch. No other name on the pack.

• farmerdilla
    16 years ago

Here is the descriptor from D.R Mayo Seed Company; "Pods 7inches long, broad flat. Maturity: 49 days. Local early variety, handed down for many generations. Deliciously flavored, easy to string, tender when picked young. Plant: Spreading, Vigorous, 18 to 24 inches tall. Under certain conditions will produce runners up to four" This is exactly the same description used for Tennessee Green Pod which I have grown. If so it is reasonably early, earlier than many. It does get shucky if allowed to get beany and of course it is not stringless.

Here is a link that might be useful: D.R. Mayo

• utdeedee
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks farmerdilla. I did not know Mayo had a website. Gives me an idea of what to watch for with them and the purple hull crowder peas I also planted 7-4-07. They are doing great and both are now about 4" inches high. :)

• cjbn412_aol_com
    12 years ago

I have been looking tirelessly for Brown Bunch Bean seeds. I have been told there are none anywhere in the U.S. I was hoping someone might have saved some seeds from previous plantings. These are the long flat brown bunch beans. If I could just find a few seeds, I would plant them and let them go to seed. All help appreciated.

• mcgillspups
    9 years ago

These are old fashion beans , farmers raised them in the forties. I have some that is 10 years old but none of them will not even sprout.

• Ernie Ferguson
    8 years ago

I have a few brown bunch seeds that I got from an old farmer last year. I might be willing to part with a few.

• mcgillspups
    8 years ago

I would love to purchase some until I could get some seeds started

• mcgillspups
    8 years ago

I live close to Knoxville and have called every seed place in Tn. And Ky, Va , N.C

• Ernie Ferguson
    8 years ago

I got these from an old old local farmer here in frenchburg ky. He said they have been in his family for generations and you would never find them anywhere. My wife absolutely loves them. I'm going to plant some today so I'll know what I've got left and give you a shout.

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    8 years ago

Would this be the same Little Brown Bunch bean sold by Heritage Harvest Seed here in Canada? They sell one called 'Mary Ison's Little Brown Bunch'... Their description.....This extremely productive bean produces loads of 3 inch pods on bush plants with short runners. The small seed is beige with brown stripes and is adorable. A unique variety that can be used for baking.
    Type: Bush Bean
    Days to Maturity: 100 days for dry beans
    Although I don't grow many bush beans maybe I should order a packet for the old seed stash :).

Annette

• nightbloomincereus 7A noVA
    8 years ago

Watch that URL. My computer caught a Trojan horse hiding on the, oddly blank, website.

• Ernie Ferguson
    8 years ago

These beans grow 7to8 inch pods when dry they are the color of leather and im almost positive the old farmer said that they were pole beans and not bush. I haven't grown any yet myself but I planted some last week and after 10 days they are 11 inches tall. Mcgillspups if you give me your address I will send you some on the house!

• volfan914
    6 years ago

I saw the these seeds being sold on ebay look for brown bunch bean seed in search.

• Lynne Webb
    6 years ago

Be real careful. I bought what I was told were 'brown bunch' at Halls Crossroads Co-op. Young woman said they were called by another name because of 'copyright' issues. I don't know where she got her information because she didn't know beans about those beans. The bag says 'Top Notch Bush Bean Lot # C-7700. Item # 86690, TRT: THIRAM. These are fantastic because they are virtually stringless; lousy because they are tasteless. Mayo's here I come!!

• farmerdill
    6 years ago

Interesting. Top Notch is a wax bean with white seeds. Don't see how one could confuse it with brown bunch.

• Lynne Webb
    6 years ago

I thought I recognized them, too, and ordered them. Then I read your post and am looking forward to planting. Best I remember they're not hybrid so, I can save the seed for next year, right? I'm excited to be to able to harvest these beans. I can just imagine a bowl of brown bunch, a sliced tomato and cornbread!

• volfan914
    6 years ago

Yes you can save the seed. I would advise eating the early beans and saving seeds on the later season beans. The seller midnighttrader was spot on with his planting and harvesting instructions so follow what he said. I ordered his 200 seed pack which I think will be needed to get enough beans ready to pick at the same time to get a good mess as they need to be picked every 2 or 3 days or pods will get tough.

• Lynne Webb
    6 years ago

Yes, volfan, they do get tough! You can't mess around with Brown Bunch. MIL always used them as an early bean and planted White Half Runners for the second crop. But when Brown Bunch are picked right and canned the same day, the taste is fantastic.

• HU-282521237
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I’m on the search for the elusive brown bunch beans also. Any new suggestions for a lead to find some? I’ve looked for the midnigttrader person on Ebay but have so far had no luck. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• volfan914
    5 years ago

I ordered from midnighttrader on ebay last year and saved a few seed for myself but not enough to share. I have noticed that midnighttrader has listed them for sell again this year. After growing last year these are the same brown bunch beans I had grown for years and they tasted just as great as I remembered.So look again for his listing on ebay he was a very fast shipper and I would suggest ordering at least 200 seed packet.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County