Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
yardlongs and black mulch

Posted by phantom_white Z6 (ruckus1837@yahoo.com) on
Tue, Jul 13, 10 at 16:44

I had one yardlong bean come up in the landscaping this year. This ONE plant is healthier, stronger, and has more blooms on it than ANY of my previous plantings. The dirt it's planted in isn't unusually fertile, it's mostly old topsoil with lots of wood chips and black dyed mulch (courtesy of my dad). Also, the first time I watered it was last week. Any water it got otherwise was from the little rain it managed to get (it's under the awning on the porch). Do yardlong's do best in bad soil? Every other time I've planted them I've always watered and made sure the soil was really good.

Abby

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: yardlongs and black mulch

It hasn't been my experience that they prefer poor soil. But what you describe doesn't necessarily sound, to me, like poor soil. Where do you live and garden? I live and garden in Oklahoma, and the soil, though much better than some places I've been, is NOTHING compared to my native NJ (central part of the state). There, landfill soil is typically better than topsoil here!

For whatever the reason, volunteers tend to show more vigor than that which we plant where we want it. I'm not quite sure why. Though I suspect it has something to do with timing.

George
Tahlequah, OK

o
RE: yardlongs and black mulch

I'm in TN. Most of what we have here is red clay unless we have a load of stuff brought in. The little ants are tending it right now... there isn't any aphids so I guess there's sugar on the plant somewhere.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here