Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Big plants, no beans

Posted by hank11 8 Northern Ca. (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 23, 12 at 17:26

I planted Kentucky wonder and blue lake pole beans. All of them are about 6 feet tall and very healthy and lots of flowers. Problem is, no beans. After searching this forum it looks like heat is the problem, it's been in the mid 90s to the low 100s for the last couple of weeks. Is there a bean that will do well in these temps?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Big plants, no beans

Same problem here in Delaware--I'm not sure what kind of pole beans I planted, but I have giant, lush plants and not a single bean. There seem to be flowers, but it ends there. It's hot here, but not insanely hot; was a bit dry in June and early July, but I used my soaker hoses. All of my other vegetables (egglplant, tomatoes, okra, peppers, cucumbers, squash) are producing just fine.

o

Different varieties show different degrees of heat tolerance. Generally, Rattlesnake is known for heat resistance. I grow Tennessee Cutshort, which does alright into the low to middle 90s. But we've been experiencing triple digit temperatures, often to 106 F, for weeks now, and Tennessee Cutshort appears to be waiting for cooler temps. I wonder about Blue Marbut. Being from Alabama, it might be heat resistant.

George
Tahlequah, OK

Here is a link that might be useful: Sandhill Preservation Center Beans

o

My pole beans aren't doing anything either. They weren't even flowering until just this morning when I went out to look at them. I'm assuming the heat got to mine too. They're ALL over the place but no beans. How are yours doing now, as this post is a couple of weeks old?

o

Even my rattlesnake beans shut down in the heat of July--days running in the 100s. They have started up, but weakly. Just a handful of beans each week from about 10 ft of trellis. Disappointing. My yard long beans, Chinese Red Noodle, are finally producing--albeit slowly, beginning in mid-August from a May planting. Good thing the new crop of bush beans is blooming up a storm.

Hepatica

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here