Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alisande_gw

Do you have a favorite green bean recipe?

alisande
15 years ago

There are some older threads on this topic on the forum, but it doesn't hurt to open the subject again.

Back the years when I was picking 40 pounds of Kentucky Wonders a day, my family loved Green Bean Salad:

French-cut fresh green beans - 4 to 6 cups

homegrown lettuce (or the best you can get from the supermarket)

2 slices bread

1 tbsp. butter

1 tbsp. olive oil

2 clove garlic, flattened with the side of a knife

Oil and Vinegar Dressing (below)

Boil or steam the beans until just tender, then shake over heat to dry. Sprinkle lightly with salt.

Pour the Oil and Vinegar Dressing over the hot beans. Cook, uncovered, 2 to 4 minutes, then chill, covered, in a glass salad bowl.

Heat the butter and oil in a skillet. Brown the garlic in it, then remove garlic. Fry the bread in the skillet until golden on both sides. Just before serving, break the lettuce into bits and toss it into the green beans. Crumble the bread and add, tossing again.

Oil and Vinegar Dressing:

4 tbsp. olive oil

1 tbsp. vinegar

1/8 tsp. dry mustard

salt and pepper to taste

Blend all ingredients. Makes 1/4 cup.

I haven't had this salad in years, but I'm growing Kentucky Wonders again this year and I'm looking forward to tasting it again.

Comments (16)

• chaman
    15 years ago

Coat the Olive oil on beans.
    Slice the zuchini and coat with Olive oil.
    Take large Bell pepper,cut in four slices and coat with Oliv oil.
    Line them on the bakingsheet.
    Preheat the oven at 350 deg.F.
    Insret the baking sheet in the oven, bake it for 20 min. or more till beans etc. baked.
    Remove the baking sheet and sprinkle salt,pepper and few oregano flakes.
    Let it cool down and enjoy eating.

• muffienh
    15 years ago

I love dilly beans, and every year my mom would put some up in glass jars. I can't wait that long and found this quick dilly bean recipe from Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home:

1 1/2 c. water
    2 c. stemmed green beans (3/4 pounds)
    2 T. fresh dill, chopped
    2 large cloves garlic, minced
    1/4 t. red pepper flakes
    1/3 c. cider vinegar
    1/2 t. honey
    1 t. vegetable oil (optional)

1.Bring the water to a boil. Add the beans, cover, and cook for 3 to 5 minutes, to crisp tender. Drain and put in bowl with the dill.
    2.Combine the garlic, pepper flakes, vinegar, and honey in a small sauce pan. Bring to a boil, then ease back to a simmer for 2 minutes. Pour over the beans and toss. Add the oil, if desired.
    3.Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour to 4 days. Serve chilled. 4-6 servings

• Zinia
    15 years ago

Hi,
    I tried cooking my Bush Blue Lakes the following way recently and they were delicious. They have a traditional Southern taste. First, fill a pressure cooker about half full with snapped beans. Don't put very much water in the pot--just enough to prevent scorching or having them too dry(fill pot with about an inch or so of water before putting in the beans). Sprinkle about 1 tsp of salt, a heaping Tbsp brown sugar, enough oil to make them good (at least 2 tbsp) and 1 chopped onion. Cook until the beans and onions are quite tender. After taking the lid off the pressure cooker, stir them up good and continue cooking them over high heat--my mama calls it, "cooking them down".
    It's up to the cook to decide how sweet and rich to make these beans. Cooked this way they have an old-fashioned taste.
    zinia

• cowabunga1
    15 years ago

These sound wonderful. I'm going to have to try them! especially yours zinia.

~Sam

• deanriowa
    15 years ago

I cooked my first beans of the year up last night.

Recipe:
    Beans
    Onion
    Garlic
    Bacon
    Basil
    Tomatoes
    Salt
    Pepper

I trim the stem from the beans and either boil them for 3 minutes or steam them till they are slightly cooked, but still crunchy. I do not cut the beans as my children(5 & 3) like finger food.

I dice the bacon and cook with sliced onions and minced garlic.

I mixed the bacon, onions, garlic, and beans together and add diced tomatoes(canned will do), fresh basil, salt and pepper and cook for a few minutes.

Dean

• albionwood
    15 years ago

Thai-style Twice-cooked Green Beans

1 lb green beans (m/l), cut into 2-inch pieces
    8 oz chicken breast or thigh meat (or any other protein: beef, pork, shrimp, tofu), thinly sliced across the grain
    1 red bell pepper, quartered and sliced into 1/4" thick strips
    2 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tsp Roasted Red Chili Paste
    1/2 tsp (or to taste) hot chili sauce
    2 tbsp Fish Sauce (nam pla)
    6 oz can Coconut Milk
    handful fresh mint or basil, chopped fine (about 1/3 cup)

Bring 2 qts water to a boil, add beans, cook about 1-2 minutes. Remove with slotted spoon and chill in ice-water bath, then drain.

Heat a wok, add 1 tbsp peanut oil, swirl, heat until oil begins to smoke. Add beans and red pepper, and stir-fry, letting them sit for a few seconds at a time so they blister slightly. After a minute or so, add garlic and stir-fry briefly. Add chicken and stir-fry until nearly cooked. Push everything up the sides and add the roasted red chili paste in the bottom of the wok, cook until it becomes fragrant, then add the chili sauce and stir-fry vigorously to mix everything together. Add the fish sauce, drizzling it around the edges; stir-fry briefly, then add the coconut milk and the mint. Mix well, then reduce heat and cook until the coconut milk reduces and begins to form large bubbles.

Squirt with a little lime juice and serve in shallow bowls over jasmine rice. Sublime!

• phantom_white
    15 years ago

I just like regular green beans. :) Turkey Craw are my favorite so far. I only use 4-5 ingredients and you basically adjust to fit your tastes and quantities.

Stringed and "snapped" green beans (any kind will do)
    Fat (Pork lard works best... yum!)
    Bacon or a chunk of ham (bone in)
    Salt
    Butter

Cook the beans like you normally would. After they begin to soften up add the meat. When most of the water in the bottom of the pot is gone add everything else. Let the butter, fat, and salt melt then mix the beans to make sure the flavors get incorporated.
    Pardon the vague-ness, but I've made beans like this so many times that its second nature and I don't know any other way to explain. Lol
    I'll have to try these other recipes. They look interesting.

Abby

• albionwood
    15 years ago

Just tried something new: Grilled Runner Beans! Insuk's are making these big long wide pods, which go tender very quickly when cooked, so I just decided to experiment. Made a basting sauce of olive oil, crushed garlic, a splash of apple juice and a few drops of soy sauce. Turned the grill on high, laid the beans across the grill and painted on the sauce, turned, basted, turned again... when they blistered and began to soften, off they came. At the same time I was grilling marinated lamb on the adjacent burner. Made a magnificent lunch, I can tell you! The grilled runner beans were sweet and richly flavored - very different from the flavor they get when sauteed. Great late-summer fare!

• deanriowa
    15 years ago

I bought some frozen edema beans to trail, to see if I want to grow them next year. Now how should I cook them, does anyone have a good recipe?

thanks,
    Dean

• jimster
    15 years ago

Edamame?

Cook in boiling water for 10 minutes.

Drain.

Sprinkle with kosher salt.

Jim

• cabrita
    15 years ago

Thai Green Beans and butternut squash

1 medium butternut squash, split in half and baked at 350C until done (pierce with a fork to test)
    1 can regular coconut milk (15 oz or so)
    2 cups fresh cut green beans (frozen works too but fresh is best)
    3 cloves garlic, minced
    1 tsp sugar
    1 tbsp lemon or lime juice
    3 leaves from a kaffir lime
    1 small bunch of fresh thai basil AKA Siam queen (regular sweet basil will also work)
    1 small bunch chopped scallions
    1 sliced hot pepper (I used cayenne and thai red peppers, leave in slices so they can be removed if desired  green hot peppers will also work here)
    Salt to taste

Bake butternut squash. When cool enough to handle, peel, seed and cut into 1 inch chunks. Open can of coconut milk. Use some of the solids on top (the oil) to sauté garlic, kaffir lime leaves, sugar, salt and hot peppers for just a few minutes (do not burn the garlic). Add green beans and squash cubes and stir. Add the rest of the coconut milk can and cook for 10-15 minutes until green beans are done. Taste, adjust seasonings and sprinkle top with chopped scallions.

• cabrita
    14 years ago

Stewed in Tomatoes:

This is similar to ratatouille, but using beans instead of peppers-zuchs-eggplant. Very tasty.

3 tomatoes, chopped
    2 onions, chopped
    6 cloves garlic, minced
    1 lb green beans (I used Garrafal Oro), trimmed and cut in 1-2 inch pieces
    salt to taste
    freshly ground black pepper
    Olive oil for sauteeing

Saute onions in olive oil. When golden, add tomatoes and garlic. When the tomatoes are saucy, add the green beans, salt, and cook until tender. Grind some fresh pepper on the dish, taste to adjust seasonings and serve.

• iam3killerbs
    14 years ago

Mostly I just steam or microwave them and eat them plain.

I also like to make a stir-fry of beef in teriyaki marinade and green beans.

And this link will take you to some of my other recipes.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bean Recipes

• anney
    14 years ago

Then there's the old Southern favorite, Green Beans w/Ham Hocks and tiny new potatoes. Some people make this an entire meal along with sliced tomatoes.

Cook the Green Beans/Ham Hock until the beans are tender. Add the new potatoes and finish cooking until they're done -- doesn't take long, 5-10 minutes after they're added, depending on their size. The beans and potatoes are melt-in-your-mouth tender and the ham hocks add flavor and protein.

• josieoh-05
    14 years ago

Anney: I grew up on your recipe and you are right about the tomatoes, but you have to have onion and cornbread too.
    This is the way I fixed my first batch of beans this summer.
    Delicious.
    Josieoh-05

• anney
    14 years ago

Josieoh-05

Yes, I omitted the sides except for tomatoes. Gotta have sweet iced tea with this meal, too!

Sponsored
Closet America
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars133 Reviews
Northern Virginia, Baltimore & DC Metro's Closet Organization Company