Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Kentuck Wonder and Sunflowers

Posted by leasag 5b (My Page) on
Sat, Jul 12, 08 at 17:44

I read in a compatability table that pole beans, Kentucky Wonder this year, are not compatible with sunflowers. Is this true and if so what are the effects? I must confess my sunflowers (not sure what kind, but for edible seed)are close enough to my beans that several vines have climed them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Kentuck Wonder and Sunflowers

Sunflowers are heavy feeders, which tend to out compete beans. When water or nutrients are scarce, the sunflower is going to get whatever is available. They are very competitive.

o

"Sunflowers are heavy feeders, which tend to out compete beans."

Can I assume then, if a gardener keep the sunflowers and beans, watered and fertilized, they could grow good together?

thanks,
Dean

o

Good is relative , Dean. If you have rich soil with plenty of water, yes they will grow together. Be warned , tho, that sunflowers don't have a strong base. Expect the beans to pull them down in the first thunderstorm.

o

That makes sense. I guess the compost has kept them both fairly happy, lord known we have had plenty of rain. I'll separate them a bit more in the future. I agree I'd not count on the flowers as the beans main support but a few tendrills haven't caused any problem. The main reason the to crops ended out near each other is because of both of their hights (these sunflowers are ~6') and my attempt to max production while not shading other crops.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here