Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chroni678

Pink Half Runner

chroni678
15 years ago

I recently replanted beans after the summer crop has diminished..the supply store was out of my normal Blue Lake beans but the owner sold me Pink Half Runner Beans..Stated this was one of his favorites...I purchased and have planted but I can't seem to find any info on the web about this particular bean...I'm not sure what I've planted..lol.

Does anyone know if this bean might be known under a different name?..Also if you have ever grown them what might I expect and at what stage to pick..

Comments (18)

• rodger
    15 years ago

I have a few beans that turn pink or violet in the shelly stage, one is white hull pink tip it is actually a wax bean which to me are greasybeans that are white or yellow vice green in the snap stage. The other is a cornfield bean again another greasy type bean which means it lacks the hair like rough texture on the pod and is slick as if oiled. I can not think of any green snaps that have pink, there are several that are striped purple or various shades of dark purple. So my guess is the bean will be white very light green to cream or yellow colored pod in the snap stage and pink to violette in the shelly stage. Keep us informed if it is otherwise sounds interesting. What does the seed look like ie what color, any markings, is it kidney shaped or rectangle with flat ends etc. Rodger

• chroni678
    Original Author
    15 years ago

thanks for the reply:

the beans are light brown in color and fairly small, kidney shape..The guy told me he eats them raw as well as cooked..I have to assume as you suggested that it may turn out to be a waxy type of bean..found one internet company that sells it by that name...

Here is a link that might be useful: Pink Half Runner Seed Link

• ilene_in_neok
    15 years ago

Do they look like these beans?

Here is a link that might be useful: Purcel Mountain Pink Pearl Bean

• chroni678
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Ok I have been busy enjoying these beens and forgot to post follow up..here goes...Good steady harvest and very good taste. We found out that these are also refered to as peanut bean. They look like a white half runner but the beans are actually pink instead of white..Same size as well. We grew 4 different varieties of beans this year and this is by far our favorite. The flavor is much different than the standard "green bean" flavor. Not sure "peanut" is the right description but still very different. Also I set the plants up to run up poles but they did very little running. A few ran three feet or so but the more successful plants actually formed a bush with short runners.

Here is a link that might be useful: Truck and Car Carpet

• mike3
    15 years ago

chroni678:

Would you possibly be interested in a trade for some pink half-runner seeds? I would only need 6-10 to experiment with. I have a couple other "greasy" bean varieties if you are interested. All of mine are actually pole beans that do get 8-10 feet tall. Email me if you are interested.

• mike3
    15 years ago

Just letting you know that I found some pink half-runner seeds.

• cabbagepunker_yahoo_com
    13 years ago

My family has a Garden Center in high point NC a customer sold me some pink half runners and i plan to plant them is the spring.

• plantslayer
    13 years ago

Can anyone tell me about pink half-runner (= Red Peanut?) as a snap? I bought seeds for this from the sample seed shop, and was planning on growing it as a snap. I don't mind if I have to string the beans (I'm used to this) but I don't want to grow it if it isn't very good for a snap bean.

• Dee66TBRD_aol_com
    12 years ago

My family back to my grandmother grew the Pink Tip half runner beans, they are by far my favorite, but more and more difficult to come across. I keep some just for planting the next season. I also mix them with
    Cabbage beans similar in size and shape and also
    excellent producing. The Cabbage bear has a green shell and the beans inside are white. Once when cooking, I didn't
    have enough Pink Tips, so I mixed them and liked them so
    much that now I always cook them together.
    I like to harvest them when the bean pod is full and a creamy off white color with a light pink tint on each end.
    Hope this as been helpful to you.

• LnsmDove
    12 years ago

My family has grown "Peanut Beans" for as long as I can remember. Coming from Tennessee, I found when I moved to GA, nobody had ever heard of them. Last summer I found them grown at Osage Farms in Rabun County, GA, I canned last summer and now waiting for this years crop. I have heard them called Pink Half Runners and TN Red Peanut Beans, whatever they are called, they are by far the best green bean you will ever eat! No other bean has the flavor these do. I read another post that someone said these beans are pole beans, but I have never seen true Peanut Beans grown as pole beans, they tend to bush and have some runners as well. Whatever, if you have the chance, grow some and can them for the winter. You will be glad you did.
    I use to have seeds sent to me from TN, but now have no garden so I will travel almost two hours to get them!!

• okeybogle
    8 years ago

Great bean. Just had the first mess and know them as a bean like my grandmother grew years ago. Early harvest as I planted early but had a bit of a hard time getting them going here in the mountains. Transplanted bald spots until until they took.

• rodgerholley
    8 years ago

Has anyone heard of purple half runner pea? Similar to a Whippoorwill pea. We lost our seed supply in a recent tornado and are looking for replacements. The shell is white with purple stripes and the peas are round versus oblong. Thanks

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    8 years ago

Would any of these in the link below look like what you are looking for?

http://www.southernexposure.com/vegetables-southern-peas-cowpeas-c-3_121.html

• Clara Justice-Lyon
    6 years ago

I sure know them! Are they called "pink tip white half runners?" I've been looking fir these since my last crop failed to to drought at same time being hispitalized. Best green ever. Its a string bean. A lot of trouble but well wirth it. I would cime close to killing for some of these seeds. Father has passed away...which is where i got my supply. Could you share info on where you found the seeds please?

• aftermidnight Zone7b B.C. Canada
    6 years ago

I commented on these earlier in this thread...

I've grown a White Hull Pink Tip pole bean in the past, some of the
    vines acted like a half runner, others grew longer. I got my seed in a
    trade.

You might find what you are looking for at Roger's Heirlooms http://www.rodgersheirlooms.com/ I think he grows several pink tips.

Annette

• annie1992
    6 years ago

I've grown the pink half runners for several years now. My husband is from Tennessee and he loves them. We pick when the pods start to turn pink, then snap and can them, eating the pods as well as the beans. They do have strings and are a lot more work than the traditional green bean, but he loves them. This year they were prolific and I canned 115 quarts. They look like this all snapped and ready for the jars.

My dear brother in law sent me the first seeds, but he sadly passed away a couple of years ago. The family was worried that I wouldn't be able to get any with him gone, but I simply grew out the end of a row and saved seeds, and I've been growing them every year since.

Annie

• Shirl Denton
    6 years ago

I am so very curious about the name of a wonderful bean I was given and have planted for a few years. It is a climber and starts off pale in color but slowly turns pink over time. The small bean inside is brown and small. Great bean and I would love to know true name. I have called it a pink tip, as that was what a few friends thought it was. I save each year, but fear I could lose seed.