Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Limas dropping flowers

Posted by wild_forager 6b MD (My Page) on
Tue, Jul 6, 10 at 18:03

My Big Mama limas look pretty good, save a bit of leaf damage here and there from disease and insect bites (nothing serious or covering the entire plant). Unfortunetely they keep dropping their flowers. I think I have one bean so far. The temps are hot now, but the past few days they weren't that bad and it was still dropping. They are planting in pots, so maybe it's the soil temp? They haven't shown any sign of heat stress though. Any ideas? They don't need a pollinator right (cause the bees seem to leave them alone in favor of my green beans, which are doing great)?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Limas dropping flowers

A puzzlement.... Weather-wise, they should be doing ok.

When the flowers drop, or are near dropping, do they look dry/crispy or limp/soggy?

You said they are planted in pots. In native soil, or in commercial potting soil? And if commercial, what kind?

o

I can't remember the brand, but it's a potting mix. The flowers do look dry, but only in the way that they dry up normally once pollinated. In other words, they look just like a pollinated bean, then they fall off shortly after. I'm wondering if the pollen is dying from the heat, even though it seems like it shouldn't be.

Also, they are sharing the pot with a tomato plant (it's a big pot though). But the beans don't look stressed in any way so I don't think the tomato is to blame.

o

Big Mama limas are heat sensitive. They will drop flowers until the temperature drops into the 70's.

DarJones - who has a 120 ft long row of them this year and they have made very few beans.

o

Oh no! I bought Big Mamas because I read that limas loved the heat and I wanted to try something with big delicious beans. I guess that was a mistake. I wish they'd display that kind of information with the product. Thanks.

o

Feeding Phosphate rich fertilizer and planty of water may help to solve your problem.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here