Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dlsm_gw

Cow Peas Ready

dlsm
12 years ago

Hi Everyone,

My cow peas are ready for harvesting. This is one of the few things we can grow during the summer months in this location.

I have limited space in my back yard. So when one crop has matured it is time to put somethin else in its place.

My Cow Peas

Happy gardening to all,

Luther

Comments (8)

• cindy_eatonton
    12 years ago

They look fabulous! Lucky you! I only planted a small amount this year, but we eat them mostly fresh before the seeds get filled out. They are so good!

Happy Gardening to you!
    Cindy

• dlsm
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you Cindy. I only have a small space to grow them. We shelled out about a gallon of peas today. We are having peas, fried okra, ham, cornbread and Iced tea for our evening meal tonight. That is the kind of food we eat down south.

In an earlier post you said you had poor germination of your Black Jungle Butter Beans. If you need some seed for next spring I will share some with you. I have a few extra.

In another month it will be time to plant my fall garden. Some of the same crops I planted in the spring. So I have to clear out space for everything.

Luther

• georgiahomegarden
    12 years ago

Awesome set of peas, this picture has me licking my lips. What variety is this?

Here is a link that might be useful: Link to my blog

• dlsm
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kris, those are blackeyed peas. At the time I discovered I didn't have any cow pea seed in stock and I couldn't find any at the feed and seed store. Didn't want to order any as the season was getting late. So I went down to the local grocery store and picked up a bag of dried blackeyes and planted them. I love all the different types of cow peas. Now the zipper creme pea is the easist one to shell and a mighty good pea if you like a mild pea.

Take care,

Luther

• cindy_eatonton
    12 years ago

Hey Luther!

Thank you for offering to save me some seed! I am hoping, hoping that my BJBBs are going to provide enough seeds to save. They have taken off the last month - in fact they seem to pushing the other pole beans out. I have lots of pods and flowers - the seeds are pretty small inside still - I opened one and tasted the beans - yummy, but small - only 1/4 inch long. So hoping we get a great harvest.

Your dinner sounds delish! I may have to go find a ham now... Can't wait for the peas... :-) I made spaghetti last night with my own tomato sauce, onions, garlic, roasted red peppers, and some dried tomatoes. It was purely amazing. Only thing I didn't grow were the olives for the oil...

Have a wonderful day!
    Cindy

• dlsm
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Cindy, You sound like you are a very creative cook. Sometimes those dishes taste the best. Those vegetables from your own garden are like no other.

Hope your BJBB fill out soon. Sounds like you have several days to wait.

I'm in the process of extending my raised beds. Seems I never have enough space to grow everything I desire.

Take care,

Luther

• wertach zone 7-B SC
    12 years ago

Luther do they taste different than the store bought dried black eyes? I'm not too crazy about the taste and texture of dried black eyes. I like my Hercules and purple hull better.

I planted some dried October beans from the GS a few years ago and they were much better fresh, but the gas was unbearable! My Aunt-in-law loved them but refused to eat any after she tried them! LOL

I have a bare spot that I planted great northern beans on for a cover crop till fall, they were the cheapest at the dollar store, 2lb's for $1. They are coming up now, I hope the deer leave them alone and I get to try a few.

• dlsm
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wertach, they taste entirely different from the dry ones in the store. What makes the fresh shelled ones taste so great is a mixture of inmature ones all mixed in with the mature ones. That is why I always hand shell all my peas, butterbeans/limas etc...You can buy fresh shelled vegetables from the store but they have been shelled by a shelling machine. They have almost reached the dry stage.

Now those fresh shelled October beans are really good to eat before they dry.

Tell your Aunt-in-law not to wear panty hose next time she eats them or she will float off into the wild blue younder.

Have a good day,

Luther

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting