Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How To Get SweetPeas To Climb Dowels

Posted by suntower z5 WA (My Page) on
Fri, Jul 28, 06 at 18:39

Hi,

I've got a bunch of sweet peas that are now 4-6" tall. I stuck a bunch of dowels in the ground next to them and my question is: How do I encourage them to start growing up the dowels. They are -very- delicate and I worry that I'll break them if I use string.

I need help fast---they're getting just long enough on the ground that they're starting to get tangled with one another.

Thanks in advance,

---JC

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How To Get SweetPeas To Climb Dowels

The peas may not attach readily to smooth, vertical dowels. I suggest running a couple of strings horizontally from dowel to dowel the length of the row. Peas will grab this sort of thing with little or no help.

Jim

o
RE: How To Get SweetPeas To Climb Dowels

I agree, I have a half a dozen in a large pot and I had hoped that they would clib off of the three thin bamboo bits I put in for them but they need constant vigilance in order for me to run them up, I went out of town for two weeks and they all fell over, I'll head out soon and wrap some string in and make it a bit like a cage.

Goodluck.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Beans, Peas & Other Legumes Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here